Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Review Guide For 2021-2022
Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Review Guide For 2021-2022 – Although many pool owners use a pool pump with an induction motor, these type of pumps aren’t really very efficient. If the pool owner really wants a high-quality pump that’s energy efficient, lasts a long time and does a great job at circulating the water in their pool, then they’re probably going to want to purchase the best variable speed pool pump they can afford.
A good variable speed pump provides the pool owner with substantial energy savings over the life of the pump, and they’re usually easier to maintain than pumps powered by induction motors. That’s why we’ve decided to review the best models currently available and list them for you in our Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Review Guide For 2021-2022.
Pentair Intelli-Flo High-Performance Pump
Flexing power that other pumps can only dream about, this high-performance 3-HP pump is ready to handle just about any job. Even though this model has more power than many of the other pumps on this list, its Energy Star Compliant, so it won’t drive up the pool owner’s electricity bill. In fact, this model uses up to 90% less electricity than traditional single-speed pumps. Other features found on this fascinating model include 8-different speed settings, speed settings that are user customizable and a built-in diagnostics system that helps to increase the service life of the pump.
- Energy savings up to 90-percent vs. traditional pumps
- Dramatically quieter operation; Carton Wt: 45 pounds
- 8 programmable speed settings and built-in timer assure optimum speed and run times for maximum efficiency and savings
- Built in diagnostics protect the pump for longer service life
- Fully compatible with IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, SunTouch Pool Control Systems and other brands of digital pool/spa controls for managing pump, heating, lighting, spa jets and water features
Hayward Max-Flo VS Pool Pump
When variable speed power is absolutely needed, this high-quality pool pump is ready to answer the call. This model uses proprietary Max Flow technology to deliver the pumping efficiency that pool owners require out of their pumps. This model uses a TEFC motor that’s not only powerful but also delivers reliability and energy efficiency as well. And since this model has a digital interface that allows it to be programmed by the user, this pump will operate the way the user needs it to operate each and every time it’s used. All of which makes it the best variable speed pool pump currently available and one that’s worth looking at by pool owners.
- Maxflo vs brings variable
- Speed technology to the favorite, traditional maxflo pump family
- Hayward maxflo vs is available in both 115V and 230V
- Permanent magnet, totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor offers incredible energy efficiency and reliability
Pentair IntelliFlo VS-Plus Pump
This variable speed pool pump has numerous features which make it a useful tool for just about any swimming pool. It has a built-in safety vacuum release system that automatically detects drain blockages and works to automatically turn the pump off until the blockage is resolved. This model also has an enclosed fan-cooled design that is EPA energy star compliant and is easy to install. Other features that can be found on this two intake pump include an intelligent onboard computer system that allows the user to have complete control over the system and to set its minimum as well as maximum speeds.
- Pentair Model: 011057
- Onboard computer and intelligent software allow complete control over minimum and maximum speed settings
- VS+SVRS model features a safety vacuum release switch that complies with Federal legislation under the Virginia Graeme Baker Act
- Variable speed pump with permanent magnet motor and Totally Enclosed Fan-Cooled design for years of use
- EPA Energy Star certified, 2 inch intake and discharge ports and operates on 230 volts
Hayward 1.85-HP TriStar VS Pump
This 1.85-HP pump is designed to be a direct replacement for pool pumps that fall between the 1.5-HP to the 2-HP range. This product is designed to be easy-to-install and most users will be able to install it quite easily. It’s a pump that’s fully-programmable and has a speed range that falls between 600 RPM and 3450 RPM. One of the main design features of this pump is that it features a permanent magnet in it that allows it to deliver exceptional performance, and to deliver incredible energy savings over its lifetime as compared with single-speed pumps.
- Designed to replace most full-rate high performance pumps up to 1.5 full-rate or 2.0 max-rate HP
- Install in any application: in stand-alone mode, with Hayward automation (including Omni Logic), or with competitive control systems (via relay control)
- Permanent magnet, totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor for up to 90% energy savings over ordinary single-speed pumps. Designed for medium to large pools. 2 inch x 2½ inch CPVC union connections make installing and servicing TriStar VS pumps simple. Two pump-base options allow for seamless retrofitting anywhere
- Fully programmable, digital control interface rotates to four different positions or mounts to the wall for more convenient access and viewing
- Speed Range: 600 – 3450 RPM
Hayward TriStar 2-HP Dual-Speed Pump
This pump has numerous features which allow it to outperform the competition. This model has an extra-large basket that can go a longer period of time in between cleanings, and its rigid construction allows it to operate even under heavy load. This model features a special Tri-Lock design that helps to keep the strainer exactly in its place but is also easy to remove without the use of tools. Inside of the pump is a quality impeller that’s been balanced for optimal performance and a power-end assembly that can be removed, if necessary, by the removal of just a few bolts.
- Super-sized basket helps in extending time between cleanings, rigid construction helps free flowing operation for heavy debris loads
- Smooth inside surface insures easy debris removal; tri-lock design makes strainer cover removal easy, no tools required, no loose parts, and no clamps
- See-thru strainer cover lets you see when the basket needs cleaning, test feature allows line pressure test to 50 PSI maximum; 2 horsepower energy
- Balanced, high-head impeller provides high-volume output for hardest installations, including pool/spa combinations and in-floor cleaning systems
- Motor and entire power end assembly can be removed, without disturbing pipe or mounting connections, by disengaging just 6 bolts
Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Buyers Guide For 2021-2022
Buying The Best Variable Speed Pump
Anyone who looks over our list of the top best variable speed pumps knows that these types of pumps come in several different designs and with different options. And this can make it difficult for a person to choose the one that’s best for them. Therefore, to remedy the situation, we decided to write this guide on how to buy a variable speed pump. It’s designed to give our readers everything they need to know to buy one of these pumps with confidence.
How Are Variable Speed Pumps Different?
When it comes to pool pumps, pool owners have three different options available to them: Variable Speed Pumps, Dual-Speed Pumps, and Single Speed Pumps. Although variable speed pumps are more expensive than either single or dual-speed pumps, they do have a number of features that these other two types of pumps can’t beat. Let’s talk a closer look at them and see how they differ from other pumps.
- Single Speed Pumps – These pumps always run at full speed, so they’re not the most energy-efficient and may wear out quicker than other types of pumps.
- Dual Speed Pumps – These pumps allow the consumer to choose one of two modes: either low-speed or high-speed operation. This allows the consumer to choose the low setting for day-to-day filtering to save money, or to set it to high so that tasks such as vacuuming can be done.
- Variable Speed Pumps – These pumps give the consumer several operating options, so they can choose what’s right for them. That makes these pumps more energy-efficient, easier to use and more convenient than other types of pumps.
The Benefits Of A Variable Speed Pool Pump:
With the cost of variable speed pool pumps being slightly more expensive than either single or double-speed pumps, some consumers may be wondering why they should bother buying one at all. And that’s a reasonable thing to consider, but consumers should be advised that these types of pumps do convey some pretty significant benefits to the pool owner. To illustrate our point, we put some of the more common benefits below for easy reference.
- These Pumps Use Less Power – A big benefit of these pumps is that they consume a lot less power than other types of pools. Some of these pumps are so energy-efficient they use anywhere from 80-90% less energy than single-speed pumps. Over the lifespan of the pump, that’s significant savings that most pool owners won’t want to miss out on.
- They May Qualify For Rebates – Another benefit that these pumps provide to their owners is that they may help them qualify for rebates from their local power company. In some areas, electric companies give consumers who purchase these pumps and other energy-saving devices special rebates. All the pool owner needs to do is check with their local power company and see if such rebates are available.
- Some Areas Mandate Pool Pump Types – Avoiding fines is another feature that variable speed pool pumps may or may not provide to the pool owner. Some localities have building codes that require the pool owner to either install a dual-speed or variable speed pump. Therefore, the consumer needs to think about local regulations before they run out and buy a new pool pump.
- They Are Quieter – Another benefit of these variable speed pumps are that they’re usually quieter than single-speed pumps. Many single-speed pumps run at 3,450 RPMs, so they’re capable of making quite a bit of noise. And since variable speed pumps can be set to low-speed during nighttime hours, these pumps are less likely to disturb the neighbors while they’re trying to sleep.
- Some Of Them Can Be Programmed – Since these pumps are more likely to contain advanced features than other types of pumps, they’re usually equipped with programming options. This helps to make the pump easier to use by automating many of its features. That way, the pool owner doesn’t have to try to keep track of whether they set the pump to high or low, or when they did it because the pump will take care of it for them.
Choose A Pump According To Pool Type:
The first thing that any pool owner is going to want to look at when they’re searching for a new pool pump for their pool is whether a particular model is suitable for their pool. Some pool pumps are only designed for inground pools, and other types of pumps are suitable for above-ground pools. Therefore, the consumer must take the time to find the one that’s appropriate for whatever pool they might own.
Consider The Pump’s Power:
The next thing any pool owner is going to want to figure out is how powerful a pump they want to buy. The right size variable speed pool pump will do a great job of filtering pool water or running accessories such as pool vacuums and do it without using too much energy. The wrong size pool pump can overwhelm too small of a filter and just ends up wasting energy in the process. Therefore it’s best to choose the pump with the right amount of power. Some fairly simple calculations can be used to determine what size pump is right for a person’s pool according to pool size, but there are also several calculators available on the Internet that will help consumers choose a pump with the necessary amount of power.
Choose The Pump’s Voltage:
Another thing that has to be determined is whether a 110-volt or 220-volt variable speed pool pump. The vast majority of above ground pools require a 110-volt pump, but there are exceptions to that rule. And many inground pools can use either 110-volt or 220-volt power connections, so the pool owner needs to determine which one they have, so they can buy the right variable speed pool pump for their needs.
We hope you enjoyed reading our Best Variable Speed Pool Pump Review Guide For 2021-2022.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2021-2022
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2021-2022
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2021-2022
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2021-2022
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2021-2022
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2021-2022
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2021-2022
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners