Best Pool Chlorine Tablets Review Guide Of 2023
Best Pool Chlorine Tablets Review Guide Of 2023 – Keeping a pool beautiful and pristine can be an involved job. Filters and pumps are great but they only tackle half the battle. Your backyard oasis faces the risk of bacteria and other gross contaminants, until you find a reliable brand of chlorine tablets. However, different pools require different products, and not all chlorine tablets are created equal.
There are always additives, stabilizers, and preservatives of one kind or another. Even though chlorine is the active ingredient, it’s not the only one. All tablets don’t dissolve the same way or react to soft or hard water the same way. In short, there’s more to it than just throwing a chlorine tab in the skimmer. The goal of this Best Pool Chlorine Tablets Review Guide Of 2023 is not just to find the best products on the market, but also to help you find the chlorine tablets that are right for your unique needs.
What Makes A Good Chlorine Tab?
There’s no one quality that makes a better tab, but there are some interconnected ones that do. They have to do with how fast it dissolves, how well it prevents algae and kills bacteria, and how breakable the tabs are.
Shock is powdered chlorine and dissolves almost instantly, shocking the water with a sudden infusion of chlorine – hence the name. But chlorine doesn’t last in the water. You have to keep adding it on a regular basis, which necessitates the use of chlorine tabs.
A broken tab, or one that dissolves too fast, is basically just chunky shock. You’ll wind up using a lot more broken tabs than unbroken ones to achieve the same result. Tabs aren’t free, so you’ll be wasting money that way too.
You need tabs that dissolve in a predictable, regular manner to create a steady addition of chlorine to the pool to maintain the levels. But too many additives will bond with the chlorine and prevent it from preventing algae and killing bacteria the way it is supposed to. Once again, this defeats the purpose of having the tabs in the pool.
A good chlorine tab won’t break easily during use or transport, will dissolve in a consistent, steady manner, and doesn’t have too many additives to keep it from doing its job.
NAVA Pool Care 3” Chlorinating Tablets
As our top choice on today’s list the Nava 12000295 wins out. We found plenty to like about this product, especially the way all the pucks are individually wrapped to guarantee that they stay in pristine, fresh condition. This is a 50-pound container, which means you might have it around for a while.
What we liked most is the fact that these are slow-release pucks. Which means that the water of your pool will stay consistently clean as long as you are using the pucks, as the cleaning chemicals release over a
period of several hours.
You will want to note that this is one of the pricier options on our list. The quantity and quality make the money worthwhile but if you’re a budget buyer this probably won’t be the option you chose.
- 50 pound bucket of individually wrapped, concentrated 3 inch chlorinatng tablets
- Sanitzes, clarifies, and protects against algae
- Slow dissolve, resulting in a longer lasting product
- For use in automatic feeders, floaters, and skimmers
- For use in all pool types; above ground, in-ground, indoor, outdoor, plater, vinyl, fiberglass
- Individually wrapped pucks
- 50-pound container
- Fairly pricey
Kem-Tek Chlorinating Tablets – Best Value
The best pool chlorine tablet for the money, is up next. There is plenty to like with this offering. The value-minded buyer will appreciate the chance to save money with the Kem-Tek.
This is a slow-release unit just like our top choice. Which means that your pool water will be consistently fresh. The chemical compounds which make up the pucks have also been specially fortified to withstand the rays of the sun. UV light can reduce the effectiveness of chlorine, which offsets the effectiveness of your equipment.
With that said, it is important to remember that this is a very small container but the price is also small. The last package that we looked at was 50 pounds. This unit is a measly 1.5 pounds. As a consequence, it is well suited for smaller “pop-up” pools. This is a great way to get everything you need in an affordable package, however, if your cleaning needs are more modest.
- For every pool sanitization and super chlorination
- Slow dissolving and concentrated for long lasting sanitation
- Stabilized to reduce chlorine loss to the sun’s UV rays
- Maintains strong and steady chlorine residual
- Economical size for pop up pools and small above ground pools
- Fortified against the sun
- Slow release
- Very small package
Rx Clear Granular Chlorine – Premium Choice
Next, we have a more moderately priced package that is still well equipped to handle the needs of larger pools. This is a 50-pound bucket available at an affordable price. To keep them fresh, and to make it easier to figure out how much to use at a time, all of the pucks in this unit are prepackaged and separated.
Finally, the Rx Clear Granular Chlorine is also a very potent mixture. The pucks are all 99 percent chlorine, with very little additives. Therefore, the chemicals are added to the water of your pool fairly slowly, making them a great way to keep your pool clean over longer periods.
The only real issue to bear in mind is that many feel the chemicals are too potent, with some users saying they found it very irritating to their skin. Granted, this is a very subjective complaint that could be a product of dosing mistakes. Still, it is something to be aware of.
- NOTE: DUE TO STATE REGULATIONS, THIS ITEM CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO CALIFORNIA.
- CLEAR WATER FOR SAFE SWIMMING – Swimming in crystal clear water does not mean your skin has to suffer. The granular chlorine is 99% sodium diclor making a relaxing swim not as harsh.
- LONG LASTING – Dichlor resists UV light, lasting longer than other types of chlorinating supplies due to built in stabilizer for your swimming pool, hot tub, or spa.
- DISSOLVES QUICKLY – Add 1 oz of this cleaning chemical to your pool for every 5,000 gallons your pool contains, daily for the best quick water treatment maintenance.
- FEWER CHEMICALS NEEDED – Our dichlor is pH neutral, meaning less chemical adjustments to be made by you! This pool chlorinator acts as a sanitizer, pool algaecide, and disinfectant. This granular chlorine dissolves in a 4-foot column, so there is no need to worry about bleach damage on your pool liner as with chlorine tablets.
- Slow release
- Very powerful
- Some report skin irritation
In The Swim Pool Chlorine Tablets
In The Swim is an affordable product that has been pre-sized to be used with more automated feed symptoms or with floating chlorine dispensers.
The pucks are slow dissolving like most of the products we’ve seen to this point, and they have been stabilized for UV light, as well as other variables that can limit the ffectiveness of chlorine.
Many users have reported that, especially in the hours immediately following their implementation, these pucks seem to have made their pool look cloudy. Not necessarily symptomatic of a major problem as this is a fairly common occurrence with chlorine. So this is something to bear in mind as many people consider chlorine to be an integral element of their pool’s appearance as well as its overall health.
- 90% available chlorine
- 3″ Chlorine Tablets are slow-dissolving and stabilized
- 8 oz. individually wrapped tablets in easy-open bags
- 99% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione (Trichlor)
- Perfect size for floaters or any automatic chlorine feeder
- Moderate price
- Fortified for UV rays
- Slow dissolve
- May make pool a little cloudy
Swim Best Swimming Pool Chlorine
Making them a good fit for most floating chlorine dispensers as well as automated systems, the Swim Best Chlorine pucks are sized to be three inches in diameter. As with the rest of the options on our list to this point, the pucks are also individually wrapped, which makes it easy to portion out the right amount of chlorine.
Swim Best Swimming Pool Chlorine is handy for buyers on a budget, as it’s also fairly affordable. We did notice some user complaints that the pucks deteriorate in the bucket. What we mean by that, pucks that were intact when the bucket was purchased become crumbled and diluted a few months down the line. They can be harder to portion out, and just generally inconvenient to handle but with that said crumbled chlorine pucks actually do still work.
- Swim Best 3 Inch Chlorinating Tablets Are The Highest Quality Available
- Country Of Origin: United States
- No Assembly Required
- Brand Name: Swim Best
- Properly sized for most situations
- Some report pucks breaking up in bucket
Star Plus Chlorinating Tablets
You’ll find theses Star Plus Chlorinating tablets are optimized for bigger pools. The product is ultimately very effective, and their 50-pound bucket is moderate in price. This one is good for the buyer on a budget. As these are slow dissolving pucks they will keep your pool looking good over time. You will only need to apply the chlorine once or twice a week to maintain effectiveness, as they also tend to
last a long time. The pucks are also sized to work well with floaters, and any other administering system you might have in your pool.
We didn’t find too many negatives, but we did notice that the pucks tend to create cloudy water. Again, this isn’t an enormous problem, but it is something that most pool owners will want to know.
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED CHLORINE TABLETS: Individually-wrapped, jumbo 3-inch Trichlor tablets in a convenient 50-pound
- bucket that kills bacteria and controls algae and mineral scale build-up in your swimming pool and
- COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with all above ground or in-ground swimming pools
- WHERE TO USE: Ideal for use in feeders, floaters, and skimmer baskets
- PERFORMANCE: 24-hour residual chlorine performance for round the clock activity
- EPA APPROVED: Will not cloud water and is EPA approved in all states
- Moderate price
- Slow release
- Works for a long time
- Cloudy water
Doheny’s Pool Chlorine Tablets
Last, we have the Doheny’s chlorine tablets. The pucks are sized at three inches, making it compatible with most chlorine distribution systems. And this product is fairly affordable because of it’s 50-pound container. However, the performance does leave something to be desired. We found that the pucks tend to break very easily, while also leaving the water very cloudy immediately after use. You can still use the tabs as they aren’t unusable by any means, and they will ultimately ensure that your pool is safe to use. However, for a
little bit more money you can get something sure to work better.
- Easy open bucket. Individually-wrapped.
- Powerful 90% available stabilized chlorine.
- 99% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione
- Made in the USA!
- NOTE: This item cannot be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii.
- Sized for most chlorine distribution methods
- Not very durable
- Makes water cloudy
In The Swim 3-Inch Tablets (25 lbs.) was definitely the top pick on the list. These individually wrapped tabs did their job, and did it well, and didn’t leave anything lacking. The child-proof lid on the bucket was simply the icing on the cake.
Hopefully, we’ve given you some good, useful information in this Best Pool Chlorine Tablets Review Guide Of 2023 that will help you pick which chlorine tabs to use in your swimming pools, wading pools, and spas.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners