Best Hydroponic Growing Systems Review Guide For 2023
Best Hydroponic Growing Systems Review Guide For 2023 – Join the millions that have trusted SimplyFunPools.com to help them make smarter buying decisions.
Let our independent expert reviews and data-driven shopping recommendations help you find the Hydroponic Growing System that’s right for you.
Indoor plants create a beautiful ambiance in our homes. Unfortunately, most people living in urban settings have limited spaces and lack direct sunlight in their apartments.
This can be a big hindrance. Hydroponics is a gardening technique that comes to save the situation and allows urban dwellers to have their indoor plants.
Are you looking for fresh tomatoes in the winter months? Perhaps you are looking for beautiful flowers for months on end with no florist hassles?
Meet these hydroponics growing systems or simply known as indoor controlled gardening systems. These will let you in a world of effortless gardening, making you question why you waited so long to get your hands on one.
Hydroponic systems use a medium replacing soil, nutrients, and water to support your plants’ growth. The medium is made of natural materials such as coconut coir, perlite, and vermiculite.
Hydroponic plants have a 30% to 50% advantage over the plants grown in soil. They have higher yields with few barriers between roots, water, oxygen, and nutrients.
Hydroponic growing systems are water-based growing systems that help your garden without the hassle of a conventional setup involving plenty of space.
This is a great initiative to promote gardening, even in small spaces like apartments. Similarly, it can be a great starting point for new gardeners prone to making mistakes.
These systems come in many types; some are completely automatic, while some give you plenty of opportunities to practice for a real garden.
It’s perplexing to find the best one for your place owing to its many types and different mechanisms. That is why we went through loads of hydroponic systems to develop a list of the highest-rated hydroponic systems just for you!
To see our picks keep reading our Best Hydroponic Growing Systems Review Guide For 2023.
iDOO Hydroponic Growing System – Best Overall
This growing system is an ingenious setup to grow many plants, fruits, and veggies with no soil. With this hydroponic growing system, you will have a year-round herb garden in your home for all your cooking needs.
The system is a self-watering planter with a built-in light to watch your specimens grow from seeds. It can also be the ultimate educational gift for your active kiddos.
The light is a LED grow light that helps plants grow faster thanks to its full-spectrum supply.
The watering system is quiet since the pump that will help circulate water and oxygen is noiseless. Additionally, the watering system is on auto-control, which will work without any mess, soil, or weather limitation.
The system also has a fan that is essential for pollination. It will promote airflow and balance air temperature helping the 12 plants grow perfectly. Furthermore, the visual window and smart soil sponge pods make this one of the top choices.
- Brand IDOO
- Color Black
- Product Dimensions 10.2″D x 13.8″W x 11.3″H
ABOUT THIS ITEM:
- 20% Faster than Soil Planting: The integrated low noise pump of hydroponics growing system aerates the water to stimulate plant growth while the upper fan simulates the outside breeze at timed intervals. Grow your plants 20% faster than the traditional soil planting method.
- 4.5L Water Tank and Fan: Hydroponics growing system built-in a fan which spreads pollen in florescence, disperses heat in germination. Indepandent 4.5L water tank can support plants to grow for 1-2 weeks in the growth period. A visual window can see how much water in tank.
- Easy-Setup Germination Kit: 3 steps in all to set up the hydroponic growing system machine. All the factors needed for plant growth – light, simulated soil are included in the hydroponic growing system.
- 2 Growing Modes: 22-Watt LED light of hydroponics growing system turns on/off automatically, simulate the sunlight spectrum, promoting plants’ photosynthesis in any weather. Vegetables Mode emits blue light, red light, far red light and white light; Flower/Fruit Mode emits red light, far red light and white light.
- Growing 12 Plants at Once, Up to 11.02″ in Tall: The height of the lighting part of the hydroponics growing system can be adjusted for plants at different growth stages. Grow 12 plants at a time, works up to 11.02 inches.
- Decent size
- Great growth
- Foolproof setup
- Requires maintenance
AeroGarden Hydroponic Growing System – Runner Up
The company aims to incorporate indoor gardening into the life of busy individuals. They aim to inspire and enable people to enhance the quality of their foods in their homes through a simple but regular connection to what they grow.
This aim helped AeroGarden come up with this spectacular six-pod harvest garden. This countertop option has a sleek design and the size makes it ideal for compact spaces. This will help you eliminate the soil and mess hassles since the plants naturally grow in water.
The growth is more efficient owing to the energy-efficient LED light. The water system helps grow the produce about five times as fast as the plant would grow in a soil-based system.
The system also has simple reminders to help new gardeners keep the system in check. The efficient system lets seeds sprout in days and harvest in weeks and lets you enjoy them all year long.
- Material Plastic
- Brand AeroGarden
- Color Sage
- Style Harvest
- Shape Oval
ABOUT THIS ITEM:
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (6 POD) – Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, Dill, Thyme, Thai Basil and Mint & a 3oz bottle of our patented, all natural plant nutrients (enough for a full season of growth)
- PLANT TO PLATE – Up to 6 plants grow at a time, up to 12 inches Tall with this indoor garden; Grows in water no soil, no mess, Made simple
- EASY TO USE – Control panel tells you when to add water, reminds you when to add plant food (included), automatically turns lights on and off for your hydroponics growing system.Do not allow water to contact hot LED Grow Lights
- LED GROW LIGHTS – High performance, full Spectrum 20 watt LED high efficiency grow lighting system in your herb garden is tuned to the specific needs of plants to maximize photosynthesis, resulting in rapid, natural growth and abundant harvests
- IN HOME GARDEN SYSTEM – Grow fresh herbs & veggies all Year Round in this indoor herb garden. Always fresh, always local, always in season
- Takes care of itself
- Amazing growth
- No bug infestation
- Light may be too bright
EZORKAS Hydroponic Growing System – Honorable Mention
Next up is this 12 pods indoor gardening kit. This particular setup lets the plant grow up to 21 inches. The height of the system’s light can be adjusted depending on the plants’ type and growth cycle.
This will help the plants, fruits, or veggies absorb the perfect light for optimal growth. The product’s control panel is great for letting you know when you need to add in the plant solution. This hydroponic growing system has a neatly designed water circulation system, which boosts the oxygen content in the water.
The oxygenated water is better for the growth of plants, and you get to have total control over your weather. The kit has different veggies and fruit modes with different shades of light that help improve the growth of that vegetable or fruit.
The 8 LED growing light is a high-performance and efficient full-spectrum light. The light is required to fulfill the natural photosynthetic process of plants which ensures abundant yet all-natural produce.
- Indoor/Outdoor Usage Indoor
- Brand EZORKAS
- Material Feature Natural
- Expected Blooming Period Year Round
- Unit Count 1 Count
- Number of Pieces 12
ABOUT THIS ITEM:
- 12 pods and 21 inches growing height: The height of the lighting part of the hydroponics growing system can be adjusted for veggies at different growth stages, helping veggies absorb energy from LED lights and promoting growth. Control panel tells you when to add plant food solution.
- Quiet Hydroponic Growing System: This indoor garden germination kit is designed with a water circulation system, increasing the oxygen in water. Press the pump to go into a cycle of 30 mins on/30 mins off with super low noise. Growing in the nutrient water faster than soil. You have total control over the weather all year round.
- Veg & “Flower & Fruit” Modes: For vegetables, choose “Veg” Mode which contains all the light. For flowers and fruits, choose “Flower” Mode which contains more red light. We have designed smart modes with different red and blue spectrum and time.
- 80 Leds Grow Light – High performance, full Spectrum 36 watt LED high efficiency grow lighting system in your herb garden is tuned to the specific needs of plants to maximize photosynthesis, resulting in rapid, natural growth and abundant harvests.
- Great gift for children, friends, partners and elders: You can use it to grow fresh herbs, veggies and fruits. Watching plants grow is an interesting hobby.This growth system not only makes your life fun, but also makes your life healthier.
- Easy to assemble
- Quick sprouting
- Easy to use
- Unable to recover from power failure
Ivation Hydroponic Growing System – Also Consider
If you are looking for a complete indoor hydroponic growing kit, this is it. This all-in-one kit contains all the essentials you need to plant and cultivate your desired produce. All you have to do is add the seeds, no soil, no light, or greenhouse, and it will still grow perfectly.
It’s the ideal setup for kitchens, offices, schools, or limited space. The setup has seven individual pod baskets for a plethora of herbs. It also has a nutrient-rich powder, adapter, and water tank, which perfectly fits an entire garden into a small space.
The smart LED bulb can be adjusted according to the amount of light needed for your greens. The multimode control panel is touch operated to give a high-end and modern look.
The modes are great for self-regulation. The circulating pump is what stimulates healthy growth and keeps pests away. With this, you will certainly get to relish the adventures of water gardening.
- Indoor/Outdoor Usage Outdoor, Indoor
- Brand Ivation
- Color White
- Expected Blooming Period Winter, Year Round, Summer
- Unit Count 1 Count
- Expected Planting Period Summer
- Number of Pieces 14
ABOUT THIS ITEM:
- COMPLETE INDOOR HYDROPONIC GROW GARDEN | All-in-One Starter Kit Includes All the Equipment & Supplies You Need to Plant, Cultivate & Enjoy Your Favorite Herbs, Veggies & Plants in the Year-Round Comfort of Home | Just Add Seeds—No Soil, Sunlight or Greenhouse Necessary! | Perfect for Kitchen, Office, School, Etc.
- 7 INDIVIDUAL POD BASKETS FOR A VARIETY OF HERBS | Spacious Grower Box Fits an Entire Garden with 14 Bamboo Planters, 14 Seed Sponges, 2 Nutrient-Rich Powders, Water Tank Plug & Power Adapter | Grow Mint, Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Oregano, Parsley, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Radishes, Blueberries & More
- SMART LED LIGHT BULBS WITH HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT | Telescoping Post Allows You to Extend Lamp Height [Min 7.8”/Max 19.7”] to Maximize Coverage, Achieve Ideal Angle & Accommodate Plants as they Bloom & Grow | 25W 6000K 120-Lumen Bright White LEDs Emit Red, White & Blue Light for Full-Spectrum Growth Stimulation
- TOUCH-OPERATED MULTI-MODE CONTROL PANEL | Master the Art of Hydroponic Science—Without the Degree! | Choose from 3 Easy Planting Modes with Perfect Lighting Cycles Based on Plant Maturity: Grow [16h], Normal [14h] & Enjoy [12h] | Self-Regulating Technology Develops Plants Faster & Healthier than in the Outdoors
- CIRCULATING PUMP STIMULATES HEALTHY GROWTH | Large 3.5L Water Tank Provides a Fruitful Environment for Roots & Stems to Thrive & Grow Equally Without Algae, Disease, Insects & Other Threats | Discover the Miracle of Water-Based Gardening Right on Your Counter—a Unique, Thoughtful, Educational Gift for Adults & Kids!
- Easy to use
- Great for colder regions
- Takes a while to sprout
LAPOND Hydroponic Growing System – Also Consider
This hydroponic growing system is designed for fast, convenient, and nutritional gardening. This setup is ideal for beginners.
You don’t need to have years of experience in taking care of plants to handle this, and the herb you grow will be more nutritious and better-tasting than ordinary ones. These are grown in a more oxygen-rich system that supplies nutrients directly at the roots.
The material used is durable with PVC pipes. It also has ample space for many plants. This is perfect if you plan on growing lettuce, spinach, cabbage, herbs, beets, garlic, etc.
The water pump is automatic, but the circulation cycle can be set manually. The pump will save you time nutritional solutions and help the plants and veggies grow well.
This is super easy to assemble and brings you close to nature. The kit also comes with a one-year warranty if you run into any issues.
- 4 Row-3 Layers-108 Plant Sites
ABOUT THIS ITEM:
- This hydroponic outdoor grow system is designed for fast, maximum-convenience vegetable gardening. Perfect for beginners! No experience needed.More nutritious and better-tasting than soil-gardened produce because oxygenated water and nutrients are delivered directly to the roots.
- Adopted food-grade PVC-U pipes,each pvc pipe diameter is 2.48”/63mm,hole size is 1.2”1.2”/30mm30mm with ample space for vegetables,flowers and plants.Suitable for lettuce,spinach,pakchoi,cabbage,radishes,strawberry,herbs,rape,beets,garlic seedlings,canola,celery,etc.
- The water pump with timer allows you to set the on time at 5/15/30 minutes intervals and off time at 30/60/120 minutes intervals to reach the nutrient film technique,The circulation mode can also be set manually or automatically according to demandmake, make the pump more durable,save nutrient solution and make the vegetables grow better!
- Extremely simple to assemble and use,only need nutrient solution(not include), no odor, very clean; It is easy to take care of, no arable land, clear weeds, save time and effort.
- Being close to nature, you can purify the air and make full use of space to keep the crops out of the soil.especially suitable for leafy vegetables in homes, gardens and offices,LAPOND provides a 1-year warranty on the Hydroponic Grow Kit and accessories.Please contact us if you want to add extra pieces.
- Effective growing system
- Easy to assemble
- Lack of instructions
Best Hydroponic Growing Systems Buying Guide For 2023
Hydroponics systems are the future of gardening. There are many benefits of employing a hydroponic system that compels individuals to invest in one. They come in so many types and features it gets confusing in what to invest in.
That is why we jotted down the key things you need to know about these kits to buy something worthwhile. Check out our guide for a deep analysis of these and how to get the best one.
What are hydroponic growing kits?
Hydroponics can be broken down into “hydro” and “ponics.” The word hydro means related to water, and ponic means labor.
These water-based growing systems help you grow many plants, fruits, and veggies in a water-based setup without soil.
Although the ones we see in the market are modern pieces of technology that work on their own with minimal maintenance, the origin of water farming can be dated back centuries.
The biggest example is the Hanging Garden of Babylon which is a great example of gardening without soil.
In many other countries of the world, water farming was employed to save the land and harvest faster. This, over time, took the shape of a more refined indoor garden setup that we now know as a hydroponic growing system.
What are the primary elements of a water-based gardening system?
The hydroponic growing systems vary in their setup and their mechanism. Nonetheless, some components are the same in all hydroponic growing systems.
Water is one of the most important elements of such a system, especially since the entire system is based on water farming. The water provided needs to be changed regularly and has a balanced pH of around 6-6.6, essential for effective plant growth.
The water circulated inside the setup is enriched with oxygen. This is necessary to help grow the plant well. Without oxygen, the plants may drown in water alone, thus making oxygen a necessary element of the hydroponic growing system.
These systems also have root bases that help place the root underwater without letting the entire plant drown in it. It can be peat moss, perlite, rock wool, or many other types.
The reason why people opt for this system is because of the nutritional value of veggies and fruits. The produce is nutritious because the system is provided with nutrients like phosphorus, nitrogen, and other fertilizers.
Light is a must to ensure photosynthesis takes place. These plants grow faster because of balanced LED lights present all year round. These lights are great to speed up the growth of the plant. That’s why the perfect setup comes with energy-efficient LED lights.
Why are they hyped?
There are many reasons why hydroponic growing systems are gaining popularity. We listed them down to help you understand why these are a great buy for everyone.
One of the biggest dilemmas today is the immediate utilization of agricultural land for housing. That is why planting systems that help save space are more in the spotlight.
The hydroponic growing systems are great for conserving space since the setup can easily be placed over a countertop or any small space.
The water crisis is another one that we have fallen prey to. This is a great kit to conserve our water resources and make them last.
The hydroponic growing systems use around ten times less water than their oil-based counterparts. This can help save and recycle water.
With soil-based farming, the chances of getting infestations are quite large. Nonetheless, with the water-based system, rarely would you have to worry about pests or insects.
The product of these water-based systems is far higher in nutritional value than a soil-grown one. This is because of loads of nutrients and oxygen provided in a controlled setup. This helps grow fruits and veggies that are extremely healthy in a fraction of the time.
The time it takes for seeds to sprout decreases in these water-based setups. These hydroponic growing systems are great since they will let you see results in weeks all year round.
Along with the quality, the quantity of the product is better too. This is highly beneficial for businesses since the bulk quantity will increase their profit margins in no time.
How to buy the best one?
While buying hydroponic growing systems, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
It would help if you always kept your needs in mind. Thinking about what you want to grow can help you choose the perfect hydroponic growing system.
Although these are space-saving, some systems are larger than others. That is why it’s advised to measure the space you have before buying one. If you plan on shopping for these online, you can check the measurements in the description.
You also have to keep in mind your level of expertise. If you are a newbie to gardening, then automatic systems are better, but if you want to get more involved, then manual hydroponic growing systems work great too.
These systems can be quite expensive. Ensure that the one you plan on buying is within your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the benefits of farming hydroponically?
A: Limited space: in urban settings, most dwellers don’t have any balconies or backyards to plant their fruits and vegetables. Hydroponic systems come to bridge that gap and give the urban dwellers a planting chance.
This system replaces soil with a growing medium and nutrient solution for the plants to thrive. The plants have their roots in the water to absorb nutrients directly. Even if you have limited storage space in your house, you can still find a small system allowing you to plant.
You also don’t have to worry about direct sunlight, these systems come with artificial light allowing you to place the kit anywhere and your plants will flourish.
In traditional farming, there’s a significant amount of water loss due to puddles, runoffs, and evaporation. In hydroponic systems, you save on water consumption and your plants get all the required nutrients.
In hydroponic systems, plants grow faster and produce a bountiful harvest. The plants absorb all the nutrients directly and none goes to waste.
This process is accurate and enables your plants to grow 5 times faster than the ones in larger fields. You can also control the nutrients and increase or reduce them depending on the plants’ needs.
No toxins or pesticides:
Plants in open fields are prone to pest attacks and disease. They have to be sprayed frequently to keep the pests, and diseases at bay.
Indoor plants are safe from such problems and don’t need any chemicals or pesticides to help them grow. So, you’ll enjoy fresh and natural fruits and vegetables.
In hydroponic systems, weeds don’t stand a chance. Weeds steal your plants’ nutrients and need to be removed constantly. Since they don’t exist in hydroponics, you don’t waste your time uprooting them and your plants get all the nutrients.
If you compare hydroponic plants and soil, you’ll find that the first one is more efficient. In hydroponics, there are minimal threats hence resulting in maximum results.
You’ll have little to no wastage or dead plants every harvest season. Furthermore, plants in hydroponic systems grow faster enabling you to replace the plants quickly and repeat the process.
Ease of use:
Indoor gardens are designed to make your work easy. They require no technical skills and are easy to maintain. You may search for basic knowledge online or simply follow the manual guide attached with the kit.
All you need to master is the watering needs, nutritional requirements, and plants to use in your hydroponic growing system.
Set and forget:
Since most of the hydroponic systems are automated, you have the control to allow your plants to thrive. All you need is to set the nutrition mixture, water levels, humidity, space, and light and you’re good to go.
You don’t need to check in every few hours, you can go about your business and check weekly or when your kit alerts you.
Fresh and natural plants:
You are in control of the plants you wish to have. The hydroponic kits allow you to plant all the vegetables in the comfort of your kitchen and save you multiple trips to the grocery. That way you enjoy fresh food and know the process used to grow them.
What are the disadvantages of hydroponic growing systems?
A hydroponic system is great but has its downside such as: Dependency on technology: some hydroponics are dependent on technology and if it fails, the whole system fails.
For instance, if there’s a power shortage, you’ll experience significant crop loss when the pumps, fan, and lights stop working. If the power doesn’t return soon, your channels run dry, starving your plants and ruin the whole growing process.
If the pump or the timer fails, you may risk flooding your house when the hydroponic can’t stop the water from flowing. This can be a costly mess and may ruin valuables in your house.
Expensive: Hydroponic systems are expensive. They require some investment to get a good kit worth having. Also, replacing the failing parts can be a shipping nightmare and your wallets will be bleeding after the process.
Small batches: some garden kits are too small with fewer slots for fewer vegetables. Considering the amount of electricity and water the kit uses, having between 10 to 25 plants is a loss.
You’ll have limited space and can plant a few batches at a time. Furthermore, you’re only limited to small vegetables.
Q: Is the hydroponic system better than soil?
A: Both soil and hydroponics have their strengths depending on the situation. However, hydroponics is considered superior since it uses water to deliver nutrients and oxygen directly to the roots. They grow faster and are healthier.
Hydroponics only work best for small spaces otherwise it may prove expensive for large-scale farming.
In hydroponics, you can avoid weeds, diseases, and pests attacking your plants. Your plants will grow naturally without any pesticides, herbicides, or harmful fertilizers.
Q: What is the best hydroponic system for beginners?
A: Deep-water culture (DWC) is the simplest hydroponic system a beginner can have. The plants have their roots submerged directly into the nutrient-rich water.
This system uses solid storage baskets or buckets. The plants are placed on little floaters and suspended in the water during the growing process.
A simple home structure with no circulating water parts makes this system affordable and easy to set up.
Since the water is stagnant in the reservoir, you’ll need to aerate the water to increase oxygen in the water for your roots.
You can buy an air pump with an air stone attached similar to the ones in fish tanks. That way your roots get enough oxygen to support your plants.
Q: Do hydroponic vegetables taste different?
A: The short answer, yes, hydroponic vegetables taste different and better than ones in soil do. This is because, in hydroponics, you’re in control of the growing process and can regulate the nutrients, light, humidity, and water level to manipulate the taste.
In soil, the plants are affected but many things include the seasons, quality of soil, presence of weed, pesticides, nutrients, and other factors.
It’s often harder to control plants in soil and the taste might be out of control. But with hydroponics, you decide how you want your plants to turn out and work towards that.
Q: How does hydroponics work?
A: A hydroponic system brings the outdoors into your home. It eliminates the soil and replaces it with nutrient-rich liquids enabling your plants to grow faster and healthier.
You don’t need to worry about direct sunlight, instead, you can use artificial lights and your plants will enjoy the same benefits.
For support, hydroponics uses simple plastic cups with growing media such as vermiculite, rock wool, coco coir, or perlite.
In some systems such as the deep-water culture, the plants are submerged directly into the nutrient solution. The solution provides everything your plants need to thrive.
PEOPLE ALSO ASKED
Q: Are hydroponic systems better?
A: Certainly! These systems save space water and are mess-free.
Q: What are the types of hydroponic systems?
A: Major types include a wick-based hydroponic growing kit, deep water cultures, NFT, ebb and flow technology, and aeroponics systems.
Q: Is hydroponics a great business plan?
A: Yes! many businesses have seen great success and huge profit margins on hydroponic growing system-based businesses.
Hydroponic systems are a great way to have indoor plants without stress. There are many options to choose from.
We have done our research and listed 5 of the best hydroponic systems for this year to help guide you to acquire one that suits your needs.
Make sure you read the whole guide to understand better in terms of quality, yield, and counter space. We hope that you found this review helpful and thanks for taking the time to read our Best Hydroponic Growing Systems Review Guide For 2023.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners