Best Automatic Pool Skimmers Review Guide Of 2020-2021
Best Automatic Pool Skimmers Review Guide Of 2020-2021 – An automatic pool skimmer is a perfect solution, if you’re tired of the constant vacuuming and hand skimming required to keep your pool clean during summer. Also an automatic pool skimmer can be a great way to cut down the amount of time you spend maintaining your pool while allowing you to enjoy it more. Finding the best brand for your pool can be a challenge though, because there are a many types available.
Automatic pool skimmers are an essential element for your pool’s filtration, and it is a very important factor that ensures your pool is clean – and stays clean. An automatic pool skimmer contains a filter basket that will retain the big dirt that you have to empty later. Then the water continues its way to the filter that supports the finer particles. Hence, it is important not to skimp on quality when you choose one. Check out the ones we have included in this Best Automatic Pool Skimmers Review Guide Of 2020-2021.
Join us while we take a closer look at automatic pool skimmers and discuss power, durability, installation, and more to help you make an educated purchase. So let’s check them out and find the best Automatic Pool Skimmers for you…
Let’s take a look at the different types of vacuums and see how they work.
There are three types of vacuums, connected to the return jet, connected to the output jet, and self-propelled.
The return jet style of automatic pool skimmer even though it looks very similar to the suction style, it works a little bit differently. This skimmer works with the water returning to your pool from the filter, for this reason the pump does not need to work harder no matter how full your skimmer gets. These devices spin the water as it returns to the pool so that it creates a whirlpool that attracts debris that gets trapped in a net.
The downside to this type of skimmer is that like the self-propelled units that can allow oils to remain on the surface, and like suction style skimmers, some brands will not work with your style of pool.
Suction type automatic pool skimmers connect to your pool’s output jet or skimmer. This device can work alone, or along with a self-propelled pool vacuum. When working with a self-propelled pool vacuum, these devices are dragged around the pool and clean a much larger area faster than a stationary skimmer. These devices usually create a whirlpool that draws-in and captures debris off the surface and sends it directly to the filter. Because the contaminants go directly to your filter, this type of skimmer works much better to remove oils from the water than the other kinds.
The downside to these filters is that, unlike self-propelled models, you have to check that the model you have in mind is compatible with your pool. Most are, but there are cases where they will not be compatible. Another downside is that it puts a strain on the pump if the skimmer gets too clogged with debris.
Self-propelled automatic pool skimmers are floating devices that use batteries or solar power to move across the surface, and collect debris in a net or canister. These devices don’t require any hoses and could move around freely in your pool. You can use a self-propelled automatic pool skimmer in any type of pool, and they don’t put any strain on your pool filter system or pump.
The downside to self-propelled skimmers is that they usually can’t get rid of the oil film that can sometimes get in the water from suntan lotion and make up. Battery-powered devices need to keep the water out of the compartment, or it quickly corrodes and damages the unit irreparably. We found battery compartment corrosion to be the number one cause of failure in these skimmers. These devices also tend to have flimsy paddles that become stiff and brittle in chlorinated water in a short time.
SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Skimmer & Clarifier
Our premium choice automatic pool skimmer would have to be the SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Skimmer & Clarifier. This device works in conjunction with your vacuum to double up on cleaning. It requires the purchase of a pool vacuum if you don’t have one, so it can be a little more expensive than the others by the time you have all the parts you need to get started, but it is extremely efficient. You can plug it directly into the output line of your pool, but we have to say it will reduce its effectiveness considerably.
The SkimmerMotion spins, creating a whirlpool action that pulls in nearby debris as it’s dragged around the pool by the vacuum. It’s fun to watch, and it can help reduce the frequency at which you need to add chemicals in your pool too.
- Clarifies your pool – Removes all particles & debris smaller than 1” from pool surface without the use of chemicals
- Automatically moves in parallel with your bottom vacuum cleaner reaching where no other device can, covering your entire pool surface
- Whirlpool suction power removes all particles and debris BEFORE they mix or reach the bottom of the pool
- Compatible add-on device for all bottom vacuums cleaners on the market
- Patented, designed and manufactured in USA to be effective, energy efficient, compact, sleek and aesthetically pleasing
- Efficient cleaning
- Whirlpool action
- Fun to watch
- Requires compatible vacuum
SkimDoctor 2.0 Pool-Skimmer (Automatic)
Another type of inground pool skimmer that uses a whirlpool to draw debris into the skimmer, is The SkimDoctor 2.0. Installing is very easy and only takes a few minutes with no tools. A nice benefit is you can clean the filter without putting your hands in any water.
To reduce the debris in your pool even further, a skimmer sock placed over the basket can be used. And the unit can be hosed clean. The SkimDoctor can filter for several days without affecting the operation of the pump, as the collection basket is quite large.
We found that it works well, but you can only use it with inground pools and not above ground pools. It also takes a little longer than many other brands to get the debris out of the pool, and you will have to hose it down quite a lot, which requires getting out and putting away the hose. If you have to water the garden or lawn every day anyway, it’s not bad but for some people, this might be an extra step they could avoid with a different brand.
✅ CATCHES LEAVES AND FLOATING DEBRIS UP TO 3X FASTER—before they sink to the bottom of your pool. SkimDoctor fits inside your inground pool skimmer basket and uses adjustable gates to improve the performance of low flow OR variable speed pumps. Which means a cleaner pool with less work for you!
✅ FAST DRY CLEANUP OF YOUR SKIMMER BASKET—simply grab the tower to remove your basket without reaching into the water, then pull off the skimmer sock to quickly dispose of debris without getting your hands wet or dirty. Our fine mesh skimmer sock captures leaves, bugs, pollen, dust, and more.
✅ SAVES ON POOL CHEMICAL SUPPLIES by improving pool circulation and enhancing the function of your inground pool vacuum to clean pool automatically. Unlike other products, SkimDoctor WORKS FROM INSIDE YOUR SKIMMER BASKET so you never have to look at it while enjoying your pool.
✅ EASY 5-MINUTE ASSEMBLY needs no special tools and includes a FREE Skimmer Sock. Long-lasting life with CHEMICAL and CORROSION RESISTANT FITTINGS.
✅ IMPROVED 2019 MODEL FITS ALL SKIMMER BASKETS Up to 10-3/4 High by 8-1/8 Internal Top Width, which includes most baskets on the market like Hayward and Pentair. BASKET NOT INCLUDED*
- Easy installation
- Clean the filter without putting your hands in water
- Large debris basket
- Only works on inground pools
- Slower operation
- Frequent cleaning
Dunnrite Hydro-Net Pool-Skimmer (Automatic)
The only brand on this list operated by remote control, is the Dunnrite Hydro-Net Automatic pool skimmer. It will work well in any type of small pond or pool. You can operate it from up to 100 feet away. As the device moves over the surface of the water, all debris is captured in a net. It’s a battery-powered skimmer, and each charge will last up to five hours.
Many people enjoyed using this machine and driving it around their pool. Many people have also stated they used it to collect floating golf balls. It often moves out of range, so if you have a very large pool or pond you need to be careful or find a way to tether it so you can pull it back. We noticed a few other problems, also, the battery charge doesn’t last a long time, and it takes a long time to charge. Running too low on charge can also cause the device to become stuck.
Unfortunately, the plastic feels very flimsy, it’s also very cheaply made. The remote feels like a toy, and one of the propellers stopped working on our model in just a few days, causing it to spin in circles. Water can also get into the battery compartment and cause it to corrode and rust.
- NI-MH battery powered
- Battery and charger included
- 100-Feet remote control range
- Operates up to 5-hour on full charge
- Great for pools or ponds
- Works in any pool
- Remote control
- Runs on batteries
- Easy to move out of range
- Cheaply made
- Water gets into the battery compartment
Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer
The Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer is a Whirlpool type automatic pool skimmer that works on most above ground pools, including coleman and Intex style pools. For pools that don’t have a built-in skimmer the Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer is especially useful. It only takes about 20 minutes to install so you can see how easy installation is. Debris runs directly into your filter as it connects to the output port of your pool. The good thing about direct to filter type skimmers is that they get rid of a lot of the oils from lotion and other tiny particles that might get through a net. This can be a competent device for cleaning your pool when set-up correctly, and the water is calm.
The downside is there are some styles it’s not suitable for like Summer Waves pools and it’s only for above ground pools. It could clog the skimmer and add stress to your filter pump, if there is a lot of larger debris like leaves in your pool. It’s very challenging to follow the instructions, but it is very easy to set up.
- Made in USA or Imported
- 1 centimeters high
- 1 centimeters wide
- Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer
- Help catch leaves and debris before they sink to the bottom of the pool with the Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Surface Skimmer.
- The skimmer easily mounts to Easy Set or metal frame pool sidewalls with an adjustable bracket and attaches to the filter pump for automatic skimming.
- The Durable polypropylene plastic is not affected by pool chemicals and the strainer basket pulls out for easy cleaning.
- Requires an Intex filter pump with a minimum flow rate of 800 gph (3,028 L/hr).
- Works on most above ground pools
- Removes oils and small bugs from your pool surface
- Easy to install
- Map for inground pools
- Terrible instructions
- Can add stress to your pump
OAI Gator Pool AutoSkim with Basket
The OAI Gator AutoSkim with Basket is another type of skimmer. It works with your pool vacuum to clean the bottom and top of the pool at the same time. This auto skimmer creates a whirlpool action to capture and draw in debris as the vacuum pulls it around the pool. To catch larger debris before it’s gets into your filter system this also includes a basket.
We found the auto skimmer to work great, but you need to use a separately purchased vacuum, and you need a pool pump strong enough to run both devices at the same time. We recommend at least two horsepower or more. One complaint we had about this particular model was that the basket uses foam support pieces that wear away quickly and render the basket useless.
- Moves randomly along your pool surface collecting leaves and debris. Require at least 1 HP Pump to operate
- Easy to install and operate. Simply connects to the pool hose 2 to 3 segments from the Automatic Pool Cleaner (APC).
- Included basket collect big leaves inside the Skimmer.
- Gator Auto-Skim operates with virtually all automatic suction type pool cleaners on the market.
- Gator required to be connected to a suction cleaner – NOT PROVIDED. Sold separatelly
- Works with most suction type pool vacuums
- Includes a basket to catch large debris
- Whirlpool action travels around the surface collecting contaminants
- Requires a strong pump
- The vacuum must be purchased separately and be compatible
- Basket support wears down quickly
We hope that you have enjoyed reading and learned a little bit more about pool skimming in this Best Automatic Pool Skimmers Review Guide Of 2020-2021.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2020-2021
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners