Best Automatic Pool Cleaners Review Guide Of 2020-2021
Best Automatic Pool Cleaners Review Guide Of 2020-2021 – Pool maintenance takes time so most people are looking for a way to get around it. If you want to spend less time cleaning your pool and more time swimming in it, an automatic pool cleaner can be a perfect option for you. But when it comes to choosing which automatic pool cleaner is best, it can get quite overwhelming. As there are hundreds of models, different pool pump requirements, and conflicting reviews. We did the research and put together this list of ten potential automatic pool cleaners. We tried to pick
an option that will work for every budget; luckily, not all automatic pool cleaners are incredibly expensive. We have also included a buyer’s guide in our Best Automatic Pool Cleaners Review Guide Of 2020-2021.
How To Pick the Best Pool Vacuum for Your Needs:
Robotic vs Pressure vs Suction Pool Cleaners: How Do You Choose?
There are three primary kinds of pool cleaners. In order to get the model that will work best in your pool, it’s important to understand how they work.Not to mention get you the best bang for your buck.
Robotic – a robotic model:
The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus is an example of a great robotic model. So what kind of pool cleaner doesn’t tie into your pool’s pump system in order to operate. Robotic pool cleaners are the only ones. Which also means they’re typically the only model that is easiest to set up.
There are no hoses to deal with, and they only require an electric outlet to operate. They won’t have to work harder,because they don’t put any extra pressure on your pumps. The very good news is your
energy bills will drop as a result. It sometimes makes sense to turn your pumps off while you run your robotic pool cleaner,in fact. Allowing any dirt floating in the water to settle to the bottom, where the robot can pick it up.
These robotic cleaners often come with more advanced navigation systems than other types. They can also come with sensors that detect algae and dirt, which let’s them to go back over problem areas. Making the entire pool uniformly clean.There’s has to be a downside right well there is,they can cost hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars. They do incur a huge upfront cost but they have a much lower cost of operation. However, most robotic models justify their high price with excellent performance.
An example of a great pressure-side model is the Polaris Vac-Sweep 360. You’ll see a pressure-side pool cleaner connects directly to your pool’s pump system. They use the pressure provided by the water returning to your pool after it has passed through the pump, hence the name “pressure-side.”
The pressurized water is used to push the cleaner forward, which turns the wheels. The motion of the wheels is used to create suction, which picks up dirt, debris, and algae.
They don’t put any extra wear on your pump and filters, as these cleaners collect material using their own filter bags.They will need cleaning out after every cleaning cycle tho. Even though they tend to be simpler to set up and operate than suction-side cleaners, they aren’t as easy to install as robotic cleaners. Also they have a higher operating cost. Additionally they put more pressure on your pump, which causes it to work harder and consume more electricity.
They’ll also require an additional booster pump to get the pressure high enough, in some situations. People with older or smaller pumps may need a booster pump to run a pressure-side cleaner, while most people with
pumps of at least 1.5 horsepower won’t have an issue.
They aren’t guided by a computer chip, but they do use a number of mechanical tricks to cover a pool, unlike robotic models.
An example of a great suction-side model would be the Zodiac Baracuda G3. The inverse of pressure-side models are the suction-side pool cleaners.
Because they use the suction provided by that pump to pick up debris and move around your pool, you need to attach them to the suction-side of your pump. The debris passes through the suction-side pool cleaner, to the hose that connects it to the suction port. The water is then passed through to the pump, where it’s caught in the filter basket. For that reason you should empty your pump’s filter basket after each cleaning cycle.
Suction-side models put more stress on your pump and cause it to use more electricity, just like pressure-side models do. Yep that means their cost of operation can be very high also.
The good news is, these tend to be the lowest-priced models on the market today. If you want a high-quality cleaning device, but don’t want to break the bank, this is the category to check out first.
Setting up this model can potentially be tricky, depending on what kind of pool you have. If your pool has a dedicated suction cleaner line, this helps in making the installation fast. You may have to spend some time working with the pipes around your filter basket to get these cleaners to work if your pool does not have a dedicated suction cleaner line.
They never require booster pumps, however suction-side models are less sensitive to water pressure and can run on lower pressures than pressure-side models.
Many people underestimate the effect their filters have on their cleaner’s performance. The quality of your filter basket has a big effect on how well your pool is cleaned,if you’re using a suction-side. model. The quality of the filters also greatly affects how clean they can get your pool, when you use a robotic and pressure-side pool cleaners.
Some models come with exchangeable filters that allow you to set the cleaner to work with algae and fine dust. Or to clean up larger debris like leaves and sticks.Some filters try to be a one-size-fits-all solution, but struggle with either small or large debris, which can lead to clogging.
Survey the debris in your pool and choose a model with filters that excel with the debris you most commonly find that is the best way for you to get the right filter.
Which Type is the Best Pool Cleaner For My Needs?
Many people primarily look at price when they purchase a pool cleaner, which is understandable, but it also frequently ends up with them investing in a model they don’t like.
Assessing your pool’s needs is a better strategy. Take notice of what obstacles, like stairs,ladders or light fixtures, could get in the way also make note of what debris is likely to be present.
The rest is very simple you just need to determine what types of pool cleaners best overcome those obstacles.
Limit your search to models that meet those needs. Then rank your remaining models by price and buy the least expensive model. It’ll have the features you need for a very clean pool, but at the lowest overall price, making it the best value.
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner – Best Overall
Our choice for the best automatic pool cleaner on the market has to be the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Robotic. You will definiately save money on your next electric bill by using this Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner.
Traditional pressure-side cleaners or even suction-side cleaners are no match for the Dolphin Nautilus. With built-in smart scanning technology to help it identify the areas that need the most help you can’t go wrong buying this one. You simply remove the easy to clean filter cartridges and put them back in, when it comes to taking care of your Dolphin Nautilus CC. It’s a task that will take you just a few minutes.
When it comes time to choose an automatic pool cleaner, programming is imperative. Just think about what you can do with the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner. You can start by programing this unit to run every day, every other day or every third day. You likely won’t need it to run every day, with its quality cleaning capabilities, unless you had a large group of people swimming in your pool or a big storm.
The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus does struggles with steps though just like any other automatic pool cleaner. Who hasn’t struggled with a step or two at some point in their life right? You’ll be pleased with this automatic pool cleaner, if your looking for a quality unit that will keep your pool look clean without you having to babysit it or do it yourself.
- Hello, free time! Let the Nautilus CC Plus take over your pool cleaning duties for good. Ideal for swimming pools up to 50 feet, this cleaner will leave your pool sparkling clean in just 2 hours. Spend more time enjoying your pool and less time cleaning.
- The clean you need without the hassle. The Nautilus CC Plus was designed to clean your pool, effortlessly. With dual scrubbing brushes and superior filtering capabilities, you can relax knowing your pool’s floor and walls are left exceptionally clean.
- Ditch the pumps and hose. Unlike the energy hogs that are pressure and suction cleaners, Dolphins are independent cleaning machines and do not rely on any additional equipment to get the job done. Save energy with every pool cleaning.
- Clean your pool with the touch of a button. Schedule the Nautilus CC Plus to clean your swimming pool each week using 3 settings- every day, every other day, or every 3rd day. Pool cleaning has never been easier!
- With more than 35 years of cleaning the world’s residential swimming pools, Dolphins provide pool owners with a hassle-free cleaning solution of unmatched performance and longevity. Get back to what really matters; spending time with family and friends.
- Top-load filter cartridges
- Easy programming
- Sometimes struggles with steps
Dolphin Premier In-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner may be the model for you, if you’re looking for something and your budget does not matter as this one is very pricey. Every company has its high performing top model, and this is it for Dolphin. This unit is compatible with a large leaf bag or multiple filter cartridges.
When dealing with pool upkeep and maintenance saving energy should be one of your concerns. If your pool is sparkling, but your electric bill is sky high, we’re here to say there is a happy medium. The Dolphin Premier Robotic is one of the best models for energy conservation due to it’s efficient DC motor. You will not find a pool cleaner that can do a better job than this premier model, as far as cleaning capability. You’ll be glad to hear that Dolphin stands behind its products with a three-year warranty.
As we mentioned, this pool cleaner is almost double the cost of the Dolphin Nautilus CC. If money does not matter, this is a natural choice; but if it does, you will have to carefully weigh the benefits of this model over the Dolphin
- Drop and go. Easy to use, single button plug and play in-ground robotic pool cleaner ideal for pools up to 50 feet; backed by a 3 year quality assurance.
- CleverClean delivers a smart and efficient clean using advanced algorithms for complete pool coverage. Anti-tangle patented swivel cable allows your Dolphin to move around your pool with ease.
- Powerful, dual scrubbing brushes forcefully attack tough dirt and debris leaving your swimming pool floor, walls and waterline exceptionally clean in 3 hours.
- Multiple filter options for an optimal clean pool. The Premier comes standard with three filter options: bottom-load fine cartridge filters, ultra-fine cartridge filters, and an oversized fine filter bag.
- Cleaning made convenient. Set the Premier’s weekly scheduler to automatically clean for you- every day, every other day, or every 3rd day. The full filter indicator lets you know when it’s time to clean your filter.
- Filter cartridges or bag
- Very efficient motor
- Three-year warranty
- Great cleaning
Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner – Best Value
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 is the best of the pressure-side pool vacuums. Even if you don’t have a booster pump the Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner will clean well.
You can even run this cleaner off your pools primary pump, which ultimately saves you lots of money relative to models requiring a booster pump. This cleaner is also very straightforward to install, and most people can get it done in 20 minutes or less.
The Polaris does best with debris and large leaves in your pool. Polaris will have your back, if your pool is located under a tree and you find yourself continually skimming the pool, and hoping that the leaves won’t fall in it anymore. We have to say tho when it comes to small particles, this machine does not compare to our top two choices.
The Polaris has a tenancy to skip over smaller particles, sometimes making a secondary vacuum necessary. The price point is the positive side of the Polaris. You’ll discover that its a a very affordable option for an automatic pool cleaner. This is the perfect machine for you, if you are simply tired of being in charge of vacuuming the pool every weekend and need a helper.
- Powered by triple jets and advanced cleaning technology
- Works in all in-ground pools of any size and shape.Tail Sweep PRO Compatible
- Sweeps, scrubs, and vacuums the bottom and walls of your pool.If they are low or the wheels are not spinning then check the in-line filter for debris. If clear and the wheels still aren’t spinning then check the water management system for clogs. If the RPM’s are slightly below the prescribed range then remove the restrictor disc from the wall connector. If the wheels are moving too quickly then install the red restrictor disc
- Operates on pool circulation pump. No booster pump required
- Includes 31-feet of feed hose, and single chamber filter bad for capturing large debris. Vacuum Inlet : 2 ¼”
- No booster pump required
- Easy installation
- Works well with larger debris
- Great price
- Underwhelming instructions
Hayward AquaNaut 400 Inground Pool Cleaner
The Hayward AquaNaut 400 is a great choice if you have had the best luck with a suction-side pool cleaners before and want to upgrade. Even though it is a suction-sided unit, this model has some power behind it. It is faster than many other automatic pool cleaner on the market.
To stay up on the walls of the pool when needed, and maintain it’s suction the Hayward AquaNaut 400 has a roller skirt. The suction power needs to be strong enough to keep the unit climbing and is one of the most important things about this type of pool cleaner. This cleaner will stay on the bottom of the pool and move slowly if you lose suction power.
Also make sure you check to make sure that this model is compatible with your current pool equipment before buying. You have the ability to program different steering sequences into this unit to match the shape of your pool. We all have that one corner of the pool that always gets missed so this is a very nice feature to have. If suction-side pool cleaners are what you need, we think this is a great choice.
- V-Flex technology provides maximum power at any flow and handles any type of debris without clogging
- Patented adjustable roller skirt maintains constant suction on uneven surfaces and obstacles
- Multiple pre-programmed steering sequences ensure complete pool coverage
- Ideal for use with variable-speed pumps
- Designed with 4-wheel drive for larger pools or pools with deep ends
- Four-wheel drive
- Roller skirt for increased suction
- Works with variable-speed pumps
- Programmable steering sequences
- Struggles with walls
Polaris F9550 In-Ground Pool Vacuum
This Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner includes some robotic features that most people will find handy. Comes with a a seven-day programmable timer with a handheld remote. And it has an excellent sensor technology, which allows it to clean your pool evenly.
Its Aqua-Trax tires have a superior grip relative to many of the models on our list.
This Polaris is a solid overall choice that will do well at picking up both larger objects and dirt. You will be pleased with the Polaris F9550,as long as the dirt is on the bottom of the pool.
If on the other hand you are looking for a model that will also climb the walls of the pool, the Polaris tends to struggle with that unfortunately. This model is also quite expensive if your concerned about pricing.
But you may want to consider other options, with the price combined with the fact that you could end up having a unit that only focuses on the bottom of the pool but this is a decent choice for an automatic pool vacuum.
- 4-wheel drive robotic cleaner outfitted with Aqua-Trax tires for all pool surfaces
- ActivMotion Sensor Technology for unmatchable navigation, even in larger and free-from pools.Cable Length:70 feet Cable
- Vortex Vacuum Technology allows cleaner to pick up larger debris while maintaining maximum suction
- Rear water propulsion system allows cleaner to reach debris under stairs and in tight corners
- Includes 7-day programmable timer, hand held remote and powder coated alloy caddy. Remote control : Yes. Motion-Sensing ; Cable Length 70′ Cable / 60′ Pool
- It is compatible with any of the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch and SunTouch remote control systems to control the IntelliFlo pump remotely
- Aqua-Trax tires
- Great vacuum
- Struggles with walls
Hayward ‘The Pool Cleaner’ (Suction-Side)
Its self-adjusting turbine vanes is the best thing about the Hayward Poolvergnuegen ‘The Pool Cleaner’ Suction Pool Vacuum.These turbine vanes allow large debris to pass through without damaging the unit and also help it maintain uniform suction while it’s in motion. If your kids have left a pool toy or two that has damaged other automatic pool cleaners, this could be an excellent option for you.
This Hayward model also has multiple pre-programmed steering sequences letting you dial in exactly how it cleans your pool. With having no trouble moving over uneven pool surfaces, this cleaner continually works to get the job done without much hold-up.
However, this model suffers from the classic pool cleaner problem. It doesn’t always do well with walls. In this case, it has a lot to do with the floats this model uses. The manual recommends using more floats to help it turn over if it gets flipped, but using fewer floats gives it the grip it needs to grab the walls and climb.
If you are finding that your pool can develop algae and you are brushing your pool frequently, this would not be the best pool cleaner for you. Choose something that does well at climbing the walls of the pool to discourage that algae from growing. If, however, you want a reliable option for bottom cleaning, this model will deliver.
- Ideal for most average-sized pools and uses existing pump and filter for power. The skimmer is the only application, which is located at either end of the pool.
- The 4 Wheel Suction Side Cleaner has a patented 4 wheel drive. What this means to you is that in combination with the patented tire treads, the cleaner has the power to overcome obstacles that normally stop other cleaners.
- The 2 Wheel Suction Side Cleaner is professionally designed for a Small to Medium size Pool with a dedicated suction line and/or a skimmer application.
- Proudly made in the USA. Pool Size- Up to 20 ft. x 40 ft. or pools with deep ends
- Every Pool Cleaner is made with the highest quality materials to ensure the best pool cleaning product.
- Self-adjusting turbine vanes
- Roller skirt
- Pre-programmed steering sequences
- Wall-climbing issues
- Struggles with algae
Zodiac Baracuda G3 Suction Side Pool Vac
Another high-quality suction-side pool cleaner would be the Zodiac Baracuda G3. If you have a low-speed pump you may
like this one a lot, as it works well with low-speed pumps.This cleaner is a good investment, if you don’t have a booster or don’t want to buy one. To help it get out of tight corners in your pool and get back to work, it features a large wheel deflector. The actual size of this unit with its large cleaning disc makes it more efficient on every pass it makes through the pool. This Zodiac Baracuda is not as easy to assemble as some other models unfortunately.
The Zodiac does fine with the sides, not like our last few reviews those struggled with cleaning the sides of the pool. The stairs of the pool is the place you may find that it struggles but this can be common for automatic pool cleaners. Sometimes, you can manually place the cleaner on the stairs before putting it away, and it will get the job done. Overall, after the initial setup, this is a functional unit that will get the job done pretty quickly.
- Quiet, powerful suction cleaner; works with low-speed pumps for maximum efficiency.
- Devours small and medium-sized debris and cleans floor, walls and steps of your entire pool.
- FlowKeeper Valve automatically regulates water flow to maintain peak cleaning performance even with lower horsepower pumps.
- Wheel Deflector for movement around tight corners.
- Scuff-resistant Long-Life Hoses eliminate scuffs on all pool surfaces.
- 36-Fin Disc increases adhesion to pool surface and avoids getting hung-up on lights, drains covers, fittings and other pool features.
- Durable Long-Life Diaphragm with reliable, one-moving-part-technology
- Works with low-speed pumps
- Good performance in tight corners
- Great contact with pool
- Tricky assembly
- Struggles with stairs
Pentair Kreepy Krauly Automatic Pool Cleaner
If you have a darker pool, the Pentair LL505G Kreepy Krauly is an excellent model to consider. It’s colored in a way that helps it stand out better in darker pools. Since you won’t have to search for your pool cleaner every time you use it, this will save you a lot of time. So it’s a good buy for wooded properties as it also features a large intake throat that makes it suitable with larger debris.
The four wheels is one of the positive design features, which leave it better-balanced than most three-wheel designs. This may not be the model for you, if you don’t have a darker pool. As it’s really expensive. It does clean thoroughly, but you can get equally good cleaning power for less money. Even if it doesn’t strictly require one, the manufacturer also recommends a booster pump.
If you want to get the best performance out of this model, you’ll end up shelling out a lot more, which makes this a costly purchase. Ultimately, most people will like how well this unit works, but its high price means it doesn’t deliver incredible value.
- Front-wheel drive and treaded tires for maximum traction on inclined surfaces for total pool coverage
- Four wheel design prevents tipping (common with 3 wheel cleaners) for uninterrupted and unattended performance
- Large intake throat and high-capacity bag handle large debris with ease
- Available with gray or white housings
- Balanced wheel design
- Good with large debris
- Coloration good for darker pools
- Works best with a booster pump
Zodiac Baracuda MX6 Automatic Pool Vacuum
The other Zodiac model that we chose also does amazing with walls. Seriously consider getting one of these Zodiac pool cleaners, if you have an algae problem on your walls and need something to help get rid of it.
The Zodiac Baracuda MX6 can sometimes bring in some air to the pump or even get stuck above the waterline. This is not good for your system if it is continually occurring. You should not need a booster pump to operate the automatic pool cleaner, as the MX6 will work well with low-flow systems. The hoses is another problem with this unit. It requires proprietary hoses, which are both prone to tangling and expensive.
Even worse, the hoses have truly poor durability. They often break down before the two-year mark, making the cost of operating this model very high. This model isn’t the one for you, if you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive cleaner that will last a long time. While it isn’t expensive, it’s likely to leave some users unhappy.
- Innovative low-flow design makes it ideal for pools with 2-speed or variable speed pumps
- Cyclonic suction for powerful vacuuming and articulating turbine blade for aggressive wall-climbing
- Swiveling hoses are quick-connect style for easy assembly
- Includes automatic Weir Valve, 90° Twist Lock Elbow, 7 x 1.2m Twist Lock Hose Lengths, Flow Regulator Valve, Hose Float, Hose Protector, Warranty Card.
- Low-flow design
- Great wall climber
- Frequently gets stuck
- Proprietary hose type
- Poor durability
XtremepowerUS In Ground Pool Cleaner (Automatic)
With the XtremepowerUS 75037 Pool Cleaner Vacuum, if you were waiting for the pure budget model, you have found it! Effortless assembly and installation is the best thing about this one. You can have it cleaning your pool fast as you
won’t waste a lot of time getting this machine set up. You can replace it a few times for the cost of some other models, as this unit is priced so low. If that is the type of machine you are looking for you found it.
However, this cleaner doesn’t work with large debris at all. If acorns or leaves fall into your pool, they can clog this machine and cause it to stop working. That’s a big problem, as this cleaner already has jamming issues that causes it to malfunction. At this price point some problems are not unexpected, but it can be challenging to deal with. The weights on the hose, which must remain precisely positioned for efficient cleaning, also slide around. Ultimately, you’ll only really like this machine if you need a very low-priced pool cleaner and don’t mind investing a lot of time to keep
- 10 hoses included for up to 30′ pool. Ideal for cleaning bottom surface and wall; does not clean stairs
- Require at least a 3/4 hp swimming pool pump or 1600 GHP to function properly.
- No tools required and no electricity needed; Attaches to your existing filtration system
- 1 Year Warranty for Parts Replacement (For order purchased from Amazon.com Prime and Ihubdeal ONLY )
- Cleaner should be moving about the pool at a rate of 8 to 12 feet per minute.
- Note : Refer to PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User manual
- Easy assembly
- Low price
- Doesn’t work with large debris
- Flapper jams
- Loose weights
The Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus is our top pick model due to its top-load filter cartridges,energy-efficient operation, and easy programming. The next-best model is the Dolphin Premier Robotic. It has the option to use a leaf bag or filter cartridges, an extremely efficient motor, and a three-year warranty. The Polaris Sweep 360 takes third place with its easy installation and great performance with larger debris. Its low price makes it the best overall value
for the money.
The Hayward AquaNaut 400 earns fourth place with its four-wheel drive and great roller skirt, though it struggles with walls. The Polaris F9550 Sport Robotic In-Ground Pool Cleaner comes with robotic operation and Aqua-Trax tires, but its high price and issues with walls hurt its value. In sixth, the Hayward Poolvergnuegen ‘The Pool Cleaner’ has self-adjusting
turbine vanes and pre-programmed steering sequences, but it has problems with walls and algae.
The Zodiac Baracuda G3 works with low-speed pumps and has good performance in corners, but issues with assembly and stairs
drop it to seventh place. In eighth, the Pentair LL505G Kreepy Krauly is great for darker pools and features a stable wheel design. However, it has a high price and requires a booster pump.
The Zodiac Baracuda MX6 works well with low-flow pumps and is good at climbing walls, but its poor durability and propensity for getting stuck really hurt its value. Last place is taken by the XtremepowerUS 75037. It has easy assembly and a low price, but buyers should be cautious about its frequent jamming and overall low quality.
Hopefully, our Best Automatic Pool Cleaners Review Guide Of 2020-2021 and buyer’s guide have helped you learn about the different types of automatic pool cleaners. Armed with that information, you should be able to find the model that works best for your pool, at a great price.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2020-2021
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2020-2021
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners