Best Above Ground Pool Pads Review Guide For 2023
Best Above Ground Pool Pads Review Guide For 2023 – Join the millions that have trusted SimplyFunPools.com to help them make smarter buying decisions.
Let our independent expert reviews and data-driven shopping recommendations help you find the Best Above Ground Pool Pad that’s right for you.
Above-ground pools are an inexpensive and easy way to enjoy the summer with your family at home. With a reasonable price tag, easy setup, and simple operation, they are a great option for anyone looking to cool off in the summer (and have a blast doing it).
Once you’ve set up your walls, placed the liner, and filled it up with water, you’re good to go, right?
Not quite. Above-ground pool liners are finicky creatures that need a little help and protection from the sharp objects of the world. This is where above-ground pool pads come in.
Laying a pool pad down before you place your liner is one of the best ways to protect your above-ground pool. These handy little accessories will save you time, money, and extend the life of your liner.
A good above-ground pool pad is just the thing you need to make sure not only the pool but also its users are kept safe. Investing in a pool pad will ensure that water does not seep from the pool into the steel frame and other metal parts causing them to degrade.
It will also keep the users of the above-ground swimming pool safe by providing them with a softer footing.
The popularity of above-ground pool pads has resulted in many manufacturers jumping in to fill the void. As a result, today there are hundreds of companies that are offering pool pads in various shapes and sizes and built from various materials.
While this makes it easier for you to choose the perfect one that suits your needs, for many people, the sheer amount of options can make it extremely difficult for them to choose the right above-ground pool pad.
Luckily for you, we have combed the internet and have brought you the best above-ground pool pads that are available in the market today.
The pool pads we have on our list offer you unmatched value for money regardless of the size of your above-ground swimming pool.
To find out even more keep reading our Best Above Ground Pool Pads Review Guide For 2023.
GLI Round Armor Shield Floor Pad
The GLI Armor Shield above ground pool pad provides an important protective layer between a vinyl swimming pool liner and the sand or soil base.
Made of a durable polypropylene geotextile material that prevents cuts and punctures to the vinyl liner caused by rocks, roots, grass and even glass.
Armor Shield also reduces convective heat loss and provides a comfortable floor pad for tired feet. It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit your pool.
About this item:
- This armor shield floor pad provides an important protective layer between a vinyl swimming pool liner and it’s sand or soil base
- Armor shield is a polypropylene geotextile material that prevents cuts and punctures to the vinyl liner caused by rocks, roots, grass and even glass
- Armor shield also reduces convective heat loss and provides a comfortable floor pad for tired feet
- Above ground liner is installed with an armor shield floor pad
- Available in round shape and 24-feet diameter
- Fits true to size, no cutting or fitting involved
- Sturdy material like felt that prevents sharp objects from penetrating the liner
- Easy to install with single-piece construction
- Prevents pool footprints in your yard
- Protects your pool liner but is a bit thinner than advertised
- A bit wrinkled on arrival but flattens if dampened
Gorilla Above Ground Pool Pad
Extend the life of your pool liner and preserve your above ground swimming pool with the strong, soft, and super-durable Gorilla Floor Padding.
This floor pad is designed to sit underneath your pool liner, adding cushioning and the extra protection you need to ensure the life of your pool liner.
Made from a durable, felt-like material, Gorilla Padding geotextile offers additional cushioning to eliminate footprints and protection from leaks and cuts to pool liners. It comes in a variety of sizes and shapes.
About this item:
- Gorilla Floor Padding Cut to Your Above Ground Pools Size
- Sits Underneath Your Pool Liner for Added Cushioning and Extra Liner Protection â Extends the Lifetime and Safety of Your Liner and Pool / Cushioning Eliminates Footprints from Forming
- Extremely Hard to Penetrate – Specially Designed Geotextile / Strong Felt-Like Material Approximately 1/8ââ Thick
- Impervious to Cuts from Sharp Objects, such as Glass, Roots and Rocks, Virtually Eliminating Vinyl Liner Bottom Leaks!
- Padding is Cut to Size and Seamed to Your Above Ground Pool- No More Cutting and Taping as with Foam!
- Thin but very durable material
- Easy installation
- Soft cushioning to walk on
- Seamed around the edges for added strength
- Slightly larger than advertised size, can be cut to fit
- Only comes with a 90-day warranty
Rhino Pad Above Ground Round Pool Liner Pad
The Rhino Above Ground Pool Pad is made from high-quality, geotextile fiber that is 45% post-consumer and 45% industrial recycled material.
Not only does it provide cushioning, but it also creates a more even surface and protects your pool liner from damage. Use the liner guard for the ultimate protection from sharp and foreign objects. It comes in a variety of round sizes.
About this item:
- PROTECT YOUR LINER – This pool liner pad is made from a special cloth fiber that is thick and durable. Defend your liner against cuts and punctures from rocks, roots, nutgrass, glass and other harmful debris found on the ground. It will provide a flat base that gives an extra layer of armor for your swimming pool floor bottom prior to liner installation.
- ABOVE GROUND POOL PAD – The liner guard creates a vapor barrier on the bottom of the pool to eliminate water from corroding the metal components for steel-walled above ground swimming pools. It will give your pool floor a subtle layer of cushion and padding, making a soft pool bottom below your feet, while also protecting the liner from potential damage. Also, works ideally when placed on grass or concrete under pop-up pools for an additional protection.
- FITS YOUR POOL SIZE – There is no need for tape or additional materials to install this Rhino Pad. It is pre-measured for your specific swimming pool size. If you have a round, oval, or irregular pool size or shape, the liner guard can easily be trimmed to fit your needs.
- ECO-FRIENDLY AND DURABLE – Made of strong earthy woven material, the liner shield is a resilient geotextile fabric composed of 45% post consumer and 45% industrial recycled material that permits moisture to safely pass through. It may resemble felt with its ⅛ of an inch thickness, but the performance is beyond exceptional in protecting your investment.
- LONGER LINER LIFE – Preserve your pool liner and extend its life span with the help of Rhino Pad. Its high density and low compression construction qualities help create a resilience to all sorts of invasive elements, protecting your liner while ensuring you get the most out of your swimming pool.
- Made of strong, eco-friendly material
- Mildew and mold-resistant
- Double-layered felt material completely prevents weed growth and rock damage
- Eliminates condensation for corrosion prevention
- May need to be trimmed to fit your pool size exactly
- A bit tough to get the wrinkles out initially
Liner Life Pre-Cut Above Ground Round Liner Pad
Liner Life pre-cut liner pads are specifically designed to cushion and protect the bottom of your above ground pool. The high-quality padding material prevents grass, roots, rocks or other sharp objects from damaging the pool’s liner while adding a comfy layer of cushioning to your pool’s floor.
Liner Life padding is pre-cut to size for your pool, eliminating the need to cut or tape padding and comes in a variety of sizes to fit your pool.
About this item:
- ABOVEGROUND POOL LINER PAD – The Liner Life Pre-Cut Pool Liner Pad is specifically designed to protect the bottom of your aboveground pool.
- PRECUT TO SIZE – Liner Life pool padding is pre-cut for easy installation. It’s manufactured to fit most popular pool sizes, eliminating the need to measure, cut, and tape as one would with foam padding.
- PROTECTS POOL – Made of a high-quality, durable polyester geotextile material, this liner pad for swimming pools will help prevent grass, roots, rocks or other sharp objects from damaging your pool’s liner.
- EXTEND YOUR POOL’S LIFE – Protecting the bottom of your aboveground swimming pool with Liner Life will extend the life of your pool’s vinyl liner so you don’t have to change it as frequently.
- FITS 24’ ROUND POOL – This Liner Life Pre-Cut Pool Liner Pad is perfectly sized to fit your 24’ round pool.
- Perfect for a cement barrier
- Fits true to size with a bit of overhang
- Easy to install
- Great leak prevention
- Has two large seams that may be noticeable through the pool liner
- A bit more prone to mold than others so it may only last one season
Blue Wave Above Ground Pool Liner Pad
The Blue Wave Above Ground Pool Liner Pad makes old foam floor padding obsolete. Unlike foam, which can be easily cut by grass, roots or rocks under your liner, this liner pad protects your liner from sharp objects and also adds a small layer of cushioning.
Liner Pad is cut to size and seamed for your pool. No more cutting and taping as with foam. It comes in 9 different sizes to fit your pool.
About this item:
- Above ground pool liner pad only – Blue vinyl liner sold separately
- Protects your liner from sharp objects
- Provides a layer of cushioning
- Tough and durable
- Cut to size and seamed for your pool
- Helps to prevent vinyl liner bottom leaks
- Cut to size and seamed for your pool
- Well constructed and true to size
- Excellent for blocking grass growth and debris
- Above ground pool liner pad only – Blue vinyl liner sold separately
- Very thin material, more for blocking grass than cushioning
Best Above Ground Pool Pads Buying Guide For 2023
Why You Need an Above-ground Pool Pad?
When you first glance at an above-ground pool you will notice that the base structure and definition of the above-ground pool comes from the liner which serves as a structure for the pool.
This is so the pool can contain an adequate amount of water once it’s filled. But, that’s not all it takes to keep an above-ground swimming pool standing.
Another major component is the pool pad, which sits in the middle of the liner and the ground. In this way, a pool pad serves as a protection to keep the liner safe from coming in contact with sharp objects, rocks or pebbles.
While there are some manufacturers that build sturdy pool liners that can take an impact from rocks or pebbles, and extreme environments, it is also best to reinforce the structure of your above-ground swimming pool with the help of a pool pad.
Including the pool pad into the mix will ensure that your pool is going to last for a long time and stay protected from foreign objects and the elements. In other words, without a pool pad, the liner would get easily damaged, shortening the lifespan of your above-ground swimming pool.
The pool pad serves as an added layer of protection that sits between the ground and the liner of the pool and prolongs the life of your above-ground swimming pool.
What Material is the Pool Pad Made of?
When choosing a pool pad, one crucial factor to consider is going to be the material that’s been used to construct the pool pad.
It is important to note that the best above-ground pool pads that are available in the market today are made up of geotextile material or some similar variation.
When it comes to durability, geotextile material has been found to be the most efficient and durable.
The reason for the high level of durability of this material is because it has been designed specifically to withstand impact from stones or other foreign objects and is tough enough to withstand the elements as well.
Another popular material that’s commonly used in manufacturing pool pads is polyester geotextile material, which is also just as strong and offers the same protective qualities.
Regardless of which type of above-ground pool pad you choose, what makes the pool pad unique in its design is that not only does it offer an unmatched level of protection to the above-ground swimming pool, but it is also extremely lightweight.
When choosing a pool pad it’s important to purchase one that offers some kind of cushioning. Even a single layer of cushioning and significantly enhance the effectiveness of a pool pad when it comes to protection and durability.
Not to mention, the extra layer of cushioning can provide more protection for pool’s lining which can increase its longevity.
Is a Pool Pad Water Resistant?
For an above-ground pool pad, being water-resistant is extremely important. Surprisingly, not all pool pads are water-resistant which can have a negative effect on its ability to provide your above-ground pool with the protection it needs.
When it comes to the water-resistance properties of above-ground pool pads, one of the best options is known as the “vapor barrier.”
As the name implies, a vapor barrier is a kind of barrier that blocks the water from seeping in and coming in contact with the iron frame of the swimming pool which can degrade over time.
By keeping the water from seeping to the steel frame and the other components, the vapor barrier can prolong the lifespan of your above-ground swimming pool.
What Size Pool Do You Have?
The first thing to consider when buying an above ground pool pad is the size of your pool.
You want to get a pool pad that will fit your pool more or less perfectly, with only a bit of overhang around the edges. You wouldn’t buy a set of king size sheets for your twin bed, would you?
What Kind Of Surface Does Your Pool Sit On?
Some pool pads work best on concrete bases and some work really well on a grassy/rocky lawn. When reviewing the specifications for each pool pad, you’ll notice that some recommend only using the pad on top of a layer of sand.
Think about how your pool is situated and what pool pad would work best in your backyard.
What Kind Of Climate Do You Live In?
If you’re a pool owner that lives in a wet or humid area, it might be worth considering a water-resistant or mold/mildew-resistant pool pad to go under your above ground pool.
The moisture from the ground or heavy rains can wreak havoc on the felt-like material of a pool pad.
Make sure to look for above ground pool pads made from synthetic materials that specifically advertise mildew and water-resistance capabilities. This will extend the life of your pool pad and save you money in the long run.
Do You Have A Heated Pool? (Do You Want To Keep Your Pool Warm?)
Some above ground pool pads are specially designed to reduce convective heat loss to the water in your pool from the cold, cold ground. If you live in a chilly place and want to keep as much heat in the water as possible, make sure to look for a pool pad that is up to the challenge.
Top Tips For Choosing The Best Above Ground Pool Pad
You’re not going to find extreme variety when it comes to pool pads but there are a few important features to look for when making your purchase.
- Durability: The most important job of a pool pad is to protect your liner. Finding a pad that’s well-constructed and durable is step number one.
- Permeability: A breathable pool pad is a happy (and mold-free) pool pad. The tighter the weave on a pool pad, the more water condensation will be allowed to form, causing mold, mildew, and possibly corrosion on a steel frame pool.
- Cushioning: Cushioning is secondary to liner protection but is a great added bonus, especially if your above ground pool is situated on rocks or gravel. Most pool pads are fairly thin and won’t be like walking on memory foam, but will be a bit of a buffer for sensitive feet.
- Ease-of-Use: An easy installation is not the number one priority when it comes to pool pads but it is a great bonus. Finding a pool pad that checks all of your boxes is the goal!
Above ground pool pads have come a long way since their awkward and cumbersome foam ancestors. These days, all you have to do is lay out a perfectly-sized pad to protect your pool liner (and your toes) from the sharp objects below.
Since a pool pad is going to play an important part in the longevity of your above-ground pool, there are certain factors that you cannot afford to ignore when purchasing one.
Needless to say, when you go online or to a brick-and-mortar store to purchase the pool pad you will notice that they come in many different sizes.
The pool pads that are available in the market today come in a diameter of 12 feet and can go all the way up to 36 feet in diameter.
The good news is, it is possible to have the pool pad pre-cut according to your specific measurements. But, regardless of which color or size above-ground pool you choose, you will need to make sure that the pool pad is large enough to serve its purpose.
Now that you know what to look for in an above-ground pool pad, have an idea about the choices you have, and are pretty much an expert in the subject—go out there and get the perfect pool pad to protect and preserve your above ground pool.
Thanks for taking the time to read our Best Above Ground Pool Pads Review Guide For 2023.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners