Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners
Replacement above ground swimming pool liners are one of the easiest ways to give your pool a makeover. It’s also one of the most cost effective ways. Swimming pool liners are essential for enhancing the durability of your pool. They can also provide a new element of style to your pool with several different designs to choose from. Family and friends will be amazed during your sensational pool parties at the beautiful pool liner design you’ve chosen! There are many different styles and thicknesses of vinyl pool liners for your above ground pool. These pool liners can be installed by the do-it-yourself person in a short amount of time.
Vinyl Pool Liners
Many pool owners use vinyl replacement pool liners as they are the most reasonably priced replacement. Most likely, your above ground pool originally came with a vinyl pool liner. One good factor about a vinyl pool liner is that it is easier to obtain and maintain. It is definitely less expensive than concrete or fiberglass which makes vinyl pool liners practical to use. Most pool liners are easy to set up and install. There are different sizes and shapes to choose from and its texture is smooth to the touch. That is a plus when you get up against it and it doesn’t “pick” your bathing suit!
Considerations for Pool Liners
There are some factors to consider when purchasing vinyl swimming pool liners. The gauge, which is the thickness, of the pool liner will have an effect on the durability of the vinyl liner. The standard gauge for vinyl swimming pool liners is around 20 mil. But you should consider investing in thicker swimming pool liners if you expect some wear and tear from your pool parties. Likewise, thicker pool liners provide more protection from the sun’s harmful rays which can keep your new vinyl pool liner looking beautiful for years. UV rays can also damage the liner material and shorten its lifespan. A Pool Cove, Wall Foam or Liner Guard can extend the life of pool liners by as much as 5 years. Use of these items can also make installation easier. Remember you will have to cut a place for your skimmer so make sure your new pool liner is in the correct place before cutting.
In Pool Liners — Thickness Matters
20 mil liners are the cheapest among pool liner choices. Durability is average and usually lasts up to 10 years, provided it gets proper maintenance. If not, you will get less years of service out of your pool liner.
27 mil liners are great options for in-ground pools. They offer added durability and improved protection against UV rays. UV rays can damage the liner material and shorten its lifespan.
30 mil is the most durable and offers better protection against sharp objects. However, the thicker the pool liner is, the more difficult it is to install. The thicker options also cost more.
Three Main Types of Pool Liners
There are three main types of pool liners — Overlap, Uni-bead & Beaded (J-Hook). Each type of pool liner comes with its own attributes which we’ll look at a little closer. Pay close attention to the type of pool liner you are removing to see if it was just overlapped at the top of your pool, or whether it had a uni-bead edge or a J-hook. If your pool has an overlap pool liner, you can always upgrade to a Uni-bead or beaded (J-Hook) liner to make installation easier.
Overlap Liners are perhaps the most economical option for Above Ground Pool liners. They hang over the wall and attach by using coping strips to secure the liner in place. To install an overlap style liner, the top rail of the pool is removed all the way around the pool. Remove the old liner. Put the new liner in the pool, and drape over the top of the walls of the pool. Long plastic clips go down over the vinyl pool liner and the top wall, holding the liner in place. Coping strips can also be used to hold the pool liner in place. The top rails are then put back on the pool. The excess liner hanging down on the outside of the pool needs to be trimmed off. With overlap style pool liners, the liner can be seen under the top rail from outside the pool.
24-ft. Round Overlap Above Ground Pool Liner – Boulder Swirl – 20-Gauge
This overlap style pool liner has a 15 year warranty. It is 20 gauge virgin vinyl material. This pool liner is made for flat bottom pools with 48 – 52 inch sidewalls. It features strong double welded seams so it should withstand winter’s worst. This pool liner also provides maximum protection for the sun’s damaging UV rays which should make it last longer and maintain its beautiful appearance for years.
Uni-bead Liners offer a clean look with added flexibility. The design allows pool owners to use an existing uni-bead set-up, or you can upgrade from an overlap pool liner. Owners with a uni-bead set-up will need to remove the attached J-Hook and snap the liner into place. Uni-bead liners offer additional patterns and eliminate excess material from hanging over the side of the pool. These liners have a U-shaped flap welded to the top of the liner. This allows the liner to simply hang right on top of the pool wall. Then replace the top rail, fill with water and you’re ready to enjoy your new pool liner.
- ATTRACTIVE DESIGN: This tiled bottom in various shades of blue, leads to marble like tiles. These marble geometric shapes create a simple but classic look. This comes out of the box with reducing wrinkling as it is hand folded rather than packed with an automated machine. Permanent creasing and excessive wrinkles will not be an issue with this swimming pool liner.
- This UniBead Liner will only work with a 52 inch constant depth swimming pool and will not work if you have an expandable liner.
- 100% virgin vinyl construction. Durable liners free of impurities.
- Our liners have been vulcanized, high pressure heat bonded and vacuum sealed. Material has been R.F. vinyl welded with lap welded seams.
- HEAVY DUTY MATERIAL: Made from 100% virgin vinyl, these liners are computer cut and the seams are lap welded for a flawless fit and finish. The Lamiclear technology provides years of protection against abrasion, chemicals and UV fading. This is result of the use of three layers including: An acrylic top coat, UV resistant print layer and the virgin vinyl base layer. A 25-year limited warranty is included protecting against defects in material and workmanship.
- The Unibead connection is designed to operate as either a Standard Bead or a J-Hook pool liner. This liner can replace an overlap pool liner and works with or without bead receiver.
Beaded Pool Lines
Beaded Liners are the easiest pool liners to replace by simply snapping the liner into the bead receiver. The precise fit offers a clean and consistent look with multiple colors and designs. Also known as J Bead or J-Hook Liners, they are easier to install than Uni-Bead liners. This type of pool liner allows you to have the beautiful designer border found only on beaded-type liners. The pool liners J-hook easily slips over the top of your pool wall and hangs securely into your pool. The pool liners lip needs to be snapped into a track that runs all the way around the inside of the pool at the very top of the pool wall. This bead receiver track is what holds the liner in place. You should be able to see the track when you look under the top rail from inside the pool.
24’x48″ Round Unibead Mystri Gold Above Ground Swimming Pool Liner-25 Gauge
- ATTRACTIVE DESIGN: A triple helix of blue, and gold twists atop a field of wavy water in the Mystri Gold pool liner print. This comes out of the box with reducing wrinkling as it is hand folded rather than packed with an automated machine. Permanent creasing and excessive wrinkles will not be an issue with this overlap swimming pool liner.
- Our liners have been vulcanized, high pressure heat bonded and vacuum sealed
- Material has been RF vinyl welded with lap welded seams
- Durable liners free of impurities
- HEAVY DUTY MATERIAL: Made from 100% virgin vinyl, these liners are computer cut and the seams are lap welded for a flawless fit and finish. The Lamiclear technology provides years of protection against abrasion, chemicals and UV fading. This is result of the use of three layers including: An acrylic top coat, UV resistant print layer and the virgin vinyl base layer. There is a 25-year limited warranty is included that protects against defects in the material and workmanship.
- This liner can replace an overlap pool liner and works with or without bead receiver.
Conclusion to Pool Liners
Customers ordering pool liners should be aware that most companies will not take back a liner that has been removed from its original packaging. This is due to the risk of pinholes in the liner caused by resting the liner against any rough surface. Even small particles of dirt rubbing against the liner can cause a tiny hole in the liner material. Once a liner has been taken out of its packaging, it is no longer resalable. So you need to be sure you order the correct size, shape, style (overlap, beaded, etc.) and wall height. It’s worth a few minutes of your time to measure your pool if you aren’t 100% sure of its dimensions. Once you receive your new pool liner, read the packing slip and the label on the box before opening it. If there is any discrepancy between the liner you ordered and what you received, leave it in the box. You will need to contact the retailer immediately.
Final Points to Remember
When you order an overlap pool liner, it probably will not come with new coping strips. You might want to order new ones when you place your order for your new pool liner. The weather, as well as wear and tear have an impact on these items so you’ll benefit by getting new ones when replacing your liner. Usually the uni-bead or J-hook sections also deteriorate over time. So measure how many you will need for your size pool and order those when placing your order for your pool liner. You certainly don’t want to use broken or brittle pieces that might puncture a hole in your new pool liner.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2022-2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners