7 Most Popular Garden Hoses Review Guide For 2023
7 Most Popular Garden Hoses Review Guide For 2023 – Join the millions that have trusted SimplyFunPools.com to help them make smarter buying decisions.
Let our independent expert reviews and data-driven shopping recommendations help you find the Most Popular Garden Hose that’s right for you.
A reliable garden hose is the workhorse of the backyard, providing a source of water for lawn care, cleaning, and summertime fun.
Gear up for gardening by purchasing the best hose you can afford — and one that fits your garden needs. Investing in a quality garden hose transforms the everyday chore of watering into a pleasant experience.
The right one eliminates the daily headaches of wrestling with a kink-prone, leaky hose. Garden hoses have three distinguishing features: length, diameter and material. Master these basics to take the guesswork out of choosing the right hose.
We tested dozens of garden hoses over three weeks, evaluating flexibility, ease of use, and overall value.
Our top pick, the Flexzilla HFZG550YW Garden Hose, is durable, won’t kink, and comes in seven different sizes. To find out even more and to see our choices keep reading the 7 Most Popular Garden Hoses Review Guide For 2023.
Best Overall: Flexzilla Zillagreen Garden Hose
The Flexzilla Zillagreen Garden Hose is durable, affordable, and versatile, making it an excellent everyday hose for your watering needs.
A bit lighter than other options on this list, the 5/8-inch 50-foot hose weighs just 8 pounds, making it accessible for people of all ages and abilities.
After using it to water their flower beds and lawn, wash their minivan, and rinse out trash cans, our tester noted that it was a delight to use—it was very lightweight and easy to maneuver on any terrain.
It also comes in 10, 25, 75, and 100-foot lengths, and its bright green color is easy to spot on your lawn.
The brand claims the hose will withstand temperatures into the negatives, and its maximum pressure is 150 PSI. It’s also safe to drink out of, which is always a refreshing treat when working hard in your yard.
This garden hose is made using a flexible hybrid polymer that ensures it lays flat and won’t kink under pressure, and it has anodized aluminum connectors.
After a month of use, our tester noted that the hose still looked new, even after being dragged around the yard, and it always stayed solid and pliable and never twisted.
Although the maximum pressure is lower than some other hoses, it wasn’t an issue while testing and shouldn’t be an issue for your everyday watering needs.
- Brand Flexzilla
- Material Polymer
- Color HFZG575YW
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 11.5 x 7.5 x 11.5 inches
- Item Weight 11.3 Pounds
About this item:
- Extremely flexible – Our distinctive green hoses are built from a special polymer blend that allows for all-weather flexibility, even in subzero temperatures (-40° to 140°F), making it easy to use in the harshest conditions.
- Extremely durable – Purpose built to handle any industry and environment. Abrasion resistant outer cover and crush resistant anodized aircraft aluminum fittings means this hose is always ready to work.
- Won’t kink under pressure – Our hoses are made from a special hybrid polymer that is memoryless, meaning it will lay flat, resist kinks, and can coil easily, making them a breeze to put away.
- Leak free and drinking water safe – Each garden hose contains superior O-rings, ensuring a long lasting and leak free connection. Our hybrid polymer is lead-free, making all hoses drinking water safe.
- Lightweight – Lighter than traditional garden hoses making Flexzilla easier to carry and maneuver around the yard
- Bright, easy-to-spot color
- Easy to maneuver
- Maximum pressure is lower compared to some other hoses
What Testers Say:
“We used it for watering the lawn and flower beds. We also used it for washing my minivan and rinsing out my compost bin and garbage can, as well as using it to add water to our pool. In all cases, this hose was super simple and pleasant to use and performs well for any watering task.”—Sarah Vanbuskirk, Product Tester
Best Expandable: J&B XpandaHose
Expandable hoses offer a number of benefits, including that they’re lightweight and more compact than standard rubber hoses.
In particular, the J&B Lawn XpandaHose is an excellent choice for anyone on the hunt for a new garden hose, as it’s reliable and easy to use.
This expanding hose comes in 50-, 75- and 100-foot options, both of which feature a durable four-layer latex core and elastic fabric exterior that comes in several colors, and it expands to three times its original length during use, so the 75-foot option is only 25 feet long when the water is off.
This hose features solid 3/4-inch brass connectors on both ends, and it can withstand 174 PSI/12 Bar water pressure.
It can be used in temperatures up to 120 degrees, and the 100-foot hose weighs less than 3.5 pounds, making it easy to move around your yard. Plus, the hose comes with a ten-setting nozzle that you can use to water flowers, wash your car, and more.
After using the hose all around her property to water her lawn and garden, our tester found that it is really easy to coil and uncoil, never kinks, and is easy to fold and store in the included storage bag.
She did note, however, that when she tried hanging the hose on the hook that was provided, it looked messy. She found that it was better to put the hose in the storage bag and store it that way instead.
- Brand J&B
- Material Brass
- Color Black
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 900 x 12 x 12 inches
- Item Weight 2.5 Pounds
About this item:
- 🏡 no more leaks- Say goodbye to your frustrating, leaking hose! XpandaHose’s solid 3/4 brass connectors and 4 layered latex core ensures leaks are no more. Complete with a sturdy on/off valve, the super strong XpandaHose can withstand 12 Bars of water pressure and temperatures up to 120 degrees F
- 🏡 strongest hose available – High pressured, triple layered latex core is the strongest most durable hose on the market making it stronger than any other expanding hose. Normal water pressure is 43.5-87PSI/3-6Bar where our new design is 174PSI/12 Bar!
- 🏡 lifetime warranty – Keeping you satisfied and providing you with the friendliest customer service is our number one goal. This is why we stand 100% behind our products, offering you a 45 days money back guarantee and a Lifetime warranty making this expandable garden hose yours is entirely risk free! If you ever have an issue, simply email us and we will get back to you asap.
- 🏡 much easier – Light Weight, Compact, Kink and Tangle Free! This amazing water hose starts out 25 Feet and expands to 75 Feet at full length with water pressure but returns after water is out! Our 100ft XpandaHose weighs less than 3.5lbs.
- 🏡 10 setting nozzle – Along with the 75 foot expanding water hose, you will receive a high quality spray nozzle with 10 adjustable patterns and ALL brass connectors, excellent corrosion resistance and durable quality!
- Expands when water is turned on
- Kink-free design
- Difficult to coil neatly for storage
What Testers Say:
“When using, we found this hose super lightweight and maneuverable—so much so that it makes what used to feel like a chore (the uncoiling and re-coiling of the hose before and after use) a true breeze. Happily, the hose does not twist. We repeat: This hose does not twist, bend, or get kinks, even if you try to make it happen.”—Sarah Vanbuskirk, Product Tester
Best Lightweight: TheFitLife Flexible and Expandable Garden Hose
If you just have a few small tasks to take care of around the house, TheFitLife Garden Hose is an inexpensive choice that will get the job done.
In addition to the 25-foot options we’re featuring, it comes in several lengths, including 50, 75, and 100 feet, and you can choose between green or blue color options.
This hose is incredibly lightweight, weighing less than 2 pounds when collapsed. When the water is turned off, this 25-foot model is just 9 feet long, making it easy to move and store—water pressure stretches it out to more than twice its original size.
It’s made from a triple layer of latex wrapped in an elastic fabric, and it connects to standard 3/4-inch fittings. The hose is endurance tested up to 2000 uses under the water pressure of 145 PSI/10 Bar, and it comes with a spray nozzle that offers eight water patterns, including shower, jet, mist, and more.
After using it for a total of three hours over the course of a few weeks, this hose worked great and was powerful enough for our tester’s gardening needs. She noted that for washing the car, patio, or other cleaning tasks, she would use a more powerful hose.
- Brand TheFitLife
- Material Latex
- Color Green+Black
- Item Weight 1.8 Pounds
- Maximum Pressure 145 Pound per Square Inch
About this item:
- 3 Times extension in length, easy to operate and store: Only 1.8 LBS, it’s incredibly lightweight, flexible, collapsible and functional. It starts out 9 feet and expands to 25 feet under 0.5Mpa water pressure, but returns in seconds to 9 feet after water is out. After each use, just simply rewind it into a basket or hose hanger. Never kinks, twists or tangles.
- Premium quality makes useful life much longer: Triple layer latex inner wrapped by interwoven elasticated fabric, with 3/4 inch US standard fittings, these hoses are endurance tested up to 2000 uses under the water pressure of 145 PSI/10 Bar. No more bursts, cracks, leaks or corrosion.
- A retractable hose suitable for multiple purposes: Expanding quickly, while a brass valve at the end allows better control of the flow of water, flexible length and proper water flow to support multiple purposes, such as gardening, watering, car/boat washing, pet bathing or pool cleaning, returns to original length in seconds when the water is out.
- Unique 8 patterns spray nozzle: TheFitLife spray nozzle supports to fulfill different watering purposes, ease of use and durable, with fingers free function supports lots of needs including gardening, watering, pet and car cleaning.
- Connectable for longer size, it helps to reach any corner: Available in 25 feet, 50 feet, 75 feet, 100 feet, they are connectable for getting a longer size, like 125 feet, 150 feet or 200 feet.
- Very easy to move around
- Comes with spray nozzle
- Stores compactly
- Not rated for high water pressure
What Testers Say:
“So far, TheFitLife has held up well to almost daily use, whether I’m dragging it across the grass or my concrete patio. I haven’t encountered any snags, tears, or leaks. The hose has been able to withstand Florida’s extreme heat and humidity, remaining flexible and functional on the hottest summer days.”—Sage McHugh, Product Tester
Best Heavy-Duty: Bionic Steel Garden Hose
If you tend to be rough on your hoses, you may want a product like the Bionic Steel Garden Hose, which is made from lightweight stainless steel for unbeatable durability.
It has a 1/2-inch diameter and also comes in 25, 50, and 75-foot lengths, and it’s even resistant to leaks, punctures, and dragging over rough surfaces—because let’s face it: sometimes it happens!
Despite being made from metal, this hose only weighs a few pounds, and it’s still extremely flexible and can be maneuvered around trees and other obstacles in your yard, resisting kinks and laying flat. It has crush-resistant aluminum fittings, and it offers a 500 PSI burst strength.
After a total of 10 hours of testing, including driving over it with her car, our tester especially appreciated the durability of this hose. She particularly recommends it for those that live in cold climates and want to leave the hose out all year long.
- Brand BIONIC STEEL
- Material Stainless steel
- Color Silver
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 7 x 7 x 7 inches
- Item Weight 3 Pounds
About this item:
- ULTRA DURABLE – our hoses are constructed from a commercial-grade 30.4 stainless steel that is extremely durable, doesn’t rust, is resistant to leaks, punctures and extended drags over tough surfaces
- FLEXIBLE & LIGHTWEIGHT – the unique interlocking flex design is extremely flexible & easy to maneuver around tight corners, trees and other obstacles while remaining significantly lighter than commercial hoses
- WEATHERPROOF – the Bionic Steel Hose has been built to withstand extreme conditions– from sub-zero temperatures, the hose can be frozen in a block of ice -to- being left in the sun for days– and everything in between ensuring many years of reliable use
- FITTINGS – the aluminum crush resistant fittings & stabilizer collar are engineered to withstand extreme force while the on/off valve makes the output easy to control
- KINK FREE –the body of the hose is encased in a sturdy stainless-steel outer layer allows for a consistent, steady and high-pressure water output yet is memoryless, meaning it will lay flat, resist kinks, can coil easily and store effortlessly
- Very durable material
- Leaks may be difficult to fix
What Testers Say:
“I tried the longest version, which was great to reach all areas of my yard and garden. It was particularly great to get to all aspects of my raised bed garden. If you do have to move around your garden, it’s nice to have a hose made of durable material, like stainless steel, that will not puncture.”—Katie Begley, Product Tester
The Best Self-Watering Planters for the Busy Gardener
This Briggs and Stratton Rubber Garden Hose is extremely durable and designed for commercial and residential use.
It features industrial-style reinforcing to prevent bursting from high water pressure, and the 5/8-inch diameter coils easily and remains flexible in temperatures as low as -25 degrees.
This 5/8-inch rubber hose is also available in 50, 75, and 100-foot lengths, and it has heavy-duty crush-proof couplings. It can be used with hot water up to 200 degrees, resists kinking, and comes with a lifetime warranty against material and workmanship defects, to boot.
- Brand Briggs & Stratton
- Material Rubber
- Color Black
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 300 x 0.63 x 0.75 inches
About this item:
- 25-feet length
- Crush-proof heavy duty couplings
- Industrial-style reinforcing for high burst strength
- Nickel plated brass male and female coupling
- Rubber washer for watertight connections
- Extremely durable
- Functional at extreme temperatures
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Stiff material
The Best Sprinklers to Keep Your Yard Hydrated
A 100-foot hose like the Zero-G Kink-Free Woven Hose will allow you to water further from your faucet, and this particular model is designed to be lighter, making it less of a hassle to move around your yard.
It has a flexible inner core covered by an abrasion, leak, and puncture-resistant outer cover, and it remains flexible at temperatures down to 35 degrees.
This 100-foot hose is 5/8-inch in diameter and much lighter than most vinyl hoses of the same length, and it has commercial-grade, crush-resistant couplings with brass inserts to prevent corrosion. It has a 600 PSI burst, and its inner core is designed to help minimize kinking for uninterrupted water flow.
- Brand Zero-G
- Material Vinyl
- Color Gray
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 10.25 x 9 x 10.25 inches
- Item Weight 8.35 Pounds
About this item:
- 50% lighter weight compared to commercial vinyl hose
- Jobsite tough – abrasion, leak & puncture resistant with burst rating of 600+ psi
- Kink-resistant, easy to maneuver, drinking water safe & lead free
- Does not expand or retract, guaranteeing an uninterrupted and high water flow Rate
- Assembled in USA
- The hose does not retract or expand.Max Feed Water Temperature (Fahrenheit):80
- The hose does not retract or expand
- Very high burst strength
- Easy to move around
- 5-year warranty
- Needs to be stored indoors in temperatures below freezing
Best Soaker: Rocky Mountain Goods Flat Soaker Hose
If you have plants that need daily watering, it might be worthwhile to invest in a product like the Rocky Mountain Goods Flat Soaker Hose. Instead of having water come just out of one end, this soaker hose allows water to seep out slowly along its entire length, so you can lay it near your plants for hands-free watering.
This popular soaker hose also comes in 50 and 75-foot lengths, and it has a heavy-duty double layer design with a PVC liner.
The hose is backed by a lifetime guarantee, and it can actually help save water by delivering moisture straight to the root of your plants.
- Manufacturer Rocky Mountain Goods
- Item Weight 11.7 ounces
- Package Dimensions 11.34 x 4.49 x 1.34 inches
- Size 25FT
- Material Pvc
- Item Package Quantity 1
- Hose Length 25 Feet
About this item:
- Heavy duty double layer design with PVC liner covered in extra strength fabric
- Conserves 70% water by getting water directly to root and avoiding evaporation
- 100% Environmental friendly weeper hose vinyl for vegetable gardens and plants
- Consistent seep throughout entire length of hose
- Lifetime Warranty – This flat soaker hose is made to last and we guarantee it
- Hands-free watering
- Stores compactly
- Very lightweight
- Plastic coupling isn’t the most durable
7 Most Popular Garden Hoses Buying Guide For 2023
What to Look for in a Garden Hose
Vinyl hoses are the most lightweight and easy to store, but they aren’t as durable as other materials.
Rubber and reinforced hoses are less likely to snag, kink, or break, plus they hold up to extreme temperatures. If strength is a concern, check the ply too. (Ply usually ranges from one to six, with six being the strongest.)
Hoses come in a variety of sizes, ranging from a few feet all the way up to 100 feet. The longer the hose, the more reach you’ll have—but unfortunately, a longer hose also means there’s more tubing to store and carry around. Water pressure also decreases as the hose lengthens.
If you only need a long hose occasionally, consider buying two shorter hoses and combining them for the times when you need to reach further.
Coupling refers to the point at which a hose connects to its water supply. Generally, there are two options: brass, which is stronger and lasts longer, and plastic, which is easier to maneuver but is less durable overall.
Some hoses have aluminum couplings, which last longer than plastic but may break down faster than brass.
Many hoses list a burst strength, which is the amount of water pressure the hoses can handle before they tear.
A higher number means the hose will be more durable, so if you’re working with higher water pressure for some reason, look for a higher-than-average burst strength.
Q: How long can I expect a hose to last?
A: A high-quality garden hose will typically last for five to ten years, but there are numerous factors that can affect the lifespan of this tool.
Proper storage and maintenance—which include draining the hose after each use and removing kinks—will help to ensure your hose lasts as long as possible.
You’ll also want to bring hoses inside during the winter, as cold temperatures can cause hoses to crack.
Q: How can I prevent kinking and knotting?
A: Garden hoses often get kinked, or bent in a way that restricts water flow, because they’re typically stored in tight coils for long periods of time, and the material develops a “memory” of this position.
To combat this common problem, some hoses have anti-kink technology, but you also help to prevent it by changing the way you store your hose.
The best thing you can do is to leave your hose straight when not in use, which can be done by stretching it along a path, but if that’s not possible, try storing your hoses in large, loose loops, which will minimize its changes of developing a coil shape.
Q: What’s the best way to store a hose?
A: There are lots of different ways to store garden hoses, including hose reels, pots, and holders, but as mentioned above, coiling a hose does increase its risk of kinking.
For this reason, hose holders are often your best choice, as you can loosely loop the hose over them. However, if you have a kink-resistant hose, you can use any storage solution that works for your needs.
The 50-foot Flexzilla Zillagreen Garden Hose is a great choice for most homeowners, as it has a durable rubber design and a lighter weight that can be used by people of all ages and abilities.
If you like expanding hoses, the J&B Lawn XpandaHose shrinks down to 1/3 its full length when empty, making it easy and compact to store.
Hoses are a necessary component of every gardener’s toolbox. Their ease of use and components can simplify your gardening experience or create a headache for the home gardener.
The wide variety of materials, components, and options on the market can make shopping for the right option a challenge.
Our rigorous testing for durability, quality of components, ease of use, and flexibility can help give you the information you need to choose the right option for your home and garden. Thanks for taking the time to read our 7 Most Popular Garden Hoses Review Guide For 2023.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners