5 Most Popular Retractable Awnings Review Guide For 2022-2023
5 Most Popular Retractable Awnings Review Guide For 2022-2023 – Join the millions that have trusted SimplyFunPools.com to help them make smarter buying decisions.
Let our independent expert reviews and data-driven shopping recommendations help you find the Most Popular Retractable Awning that’s right for you.
Add shade to your outdoor space—and charm to your home’s exterior. A retractable awning adds shade to your outdoor living space without the hassle of getting permits, finding a contractor, or taking on a major renovation project.
We researched dozens of options, evaluating them for durability, overall value, ease of installation, and protection from the elements.
While retractable awnings can certainly be a major expense if you go for a high-end motorized model, there are plenty of lower-cost options on the market that’ll only set you back a few hundred dollars, even if you have a large area to cover.
And, buying one on the cheap doesn’t mean you’ll have to sacrifice quality or style.
To see the 5 most popular retractable awnings to create a customizable outdoor space keep reading our 5 Most Popular Retractable Awnings Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Best Budget: Artpuch Rectangle Shade Sail
This retractable awning requires a more complicated setup and take-down process every time you want to use it, but you can’t beat the budget-friendly price.
It uses hefty stainless-steel D-rings to stay secure over a 10-x-13-foot space. The fabric is made of high-density plastic to protect you from UV rays without fading.
It comes in 10 colors and nine sizes, so you have lots of options to find the right one for your space.
Because it has a more straightforward installation process, the Sun Shade doesn’t stand up to high winds or rain as well as some of the other picks on our list.
It will protect you from the elements but is best for calm, sunny days. While you can leave it up, if you expect anything more than a light shower, it’s best to take it down ahead of time.
- Size 10’x13′
- Color Sand
- Brand Artpuch
- Material Plastic, Fabric
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 16 x 11 x 5 inches
About this item:
- MATERIAL: The sun shade sail is made of 185 gsm UV protected high density polyethylene (100%HDPE) shade fabric with strong stitched seam. With Durable Stainless Steel D-rings in each corner make the sun sails easily attached to any sturdy connection point to provide sun protection and personal design where you need it.
- UV BLOCKAGE: Protects from harmful UV rays and direct sunlight exposure. Blocks harmful rays of the sun without trapping hot air beneath. Fabric has high density breathable blockage, while effectively reducing heat, blocking up to 95% of UV rays, and protecting skin.
- BREATHABLE MATERIAL DESIGN: Allows cooling breezes and light to pass through for better airy and comfortable space, allows rains to pass through, so there’s no pooling water( So it is not waterproof)
- MEASUREMENT & WARRANTY: Measurement is taken from D ring to D ring,leave 1.5 – 2 foot space for the hardware kit between shade sail D ring and mounting points,all edges are finished slightly curved so it can be stretched tightly.
- APPLICATION: Widely used for a patio, lawn, garden, pool, bbq areas,pond, deck, kailyard, courtyard, backyard, dooryard, park, carport, pergola, sandbox, driveway or other outdoor occasions.
- Plenty of size and color options
- Easy installation
- Not good for storms
- May require setup and take-down more often
Best Luxury: Diensweek Retractable Patio Awning
To give your home some European flair, consider this green and white striped Fully Retractable Patio Awning from Diensweek.
It is available in a generous 12-x-10 foot size and comes fully assembled and ready to install.
The manual mechanism and frame are corrosion-resistant aluminum, and the fabric is a sturdy UV- and water-resistant polyester that can withstand strong winds.
It is limited to just one size and color, so it may not work for all styles or spaces. It’s best for concrete or large brick walls because it is so large and heavy. If you want to use it on wood or laminate exterior, the brand recommends seeking guidance from a professional.
- Material T5 grade aluminum frame
- Color Green/White Stripes
- Size 12’x10′
- Brand Diensweek
- Item Weight 56.99 Pounds
About this item:
- 12′ by 10′ HIGH-QUALITY STANDARD: 12feet long 10feet width Awning Backed with a 1 years warranty and certified CE, GS, and RoHS, this awning is built and tested to be simple to use and durable to last. Residential and commercial use. Most accurate fully extend product dimension: 11.32’x9.84′.
- DURABLE MECHANISM : Build with an entire corrosion resistant T5 grade aluminum frame, and arm – It keeps this manual mechanism safe, easy to adjust, light and robust again structure stress with a wind resident Beauport scale 4.
- INCLUDES: Awning, crank handle, mounting bracket, instruction manual and additional mounting hardware – No electricity required, open/close by hand crank.
- HIGH QUALITY FABRIC : Green/White Stripes color 280g/m² Polyester +PU coating fabric is water resistant, resistant to sun fading, has 50UV+ solar protection and also tested for a wind resistance Beauport scale 4.
- RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION; Total height needed 3.1m that include 0.6m for the drop. Concrete wall or massive brickwork wall recommended. Please ask a professional for different types of walls such as (insulation, double brick, brick, wood and vinyl facing etc).
- Fully assembled
- Elegant style
- UV and water-resistant fabric
- Only one size and color
The Best Patio Umbrellas
While most retractable awnings should be closed up during high winds, this option gives you the freedom to adjust the pitch, minimizing the risk of damage.
With a simple twist of a hand crank, the Advaning Motorized Patio Retractable Awning makes it easy to adjust the pitch thanks to a three-loop system.
It has most of the features you’ll want at a midrange price, including multiple sizes and color options, UV- and water-resistant fabric, a high-quality frame, and a remote. The valance can be removed if you want a more modern look.
- Material Aluminum, Acrylic
- Color Sunny Yellow with Gray Stripes
- Size 12′ x 10′
- Brand ADVANING
- Item Dimensions LxWxH 144 x 118 x 9.8 inches
About this item:
- 𝗖𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗥 & 𝗦𝗜𝗭𝗘: Classic Series Features a Gray Frame, Fabric Color: Sunny Yellow with Gray Stripes, Size: 12 Wide x 10′ Projection Full Extension. Advaning Awnings are 100% Fully Pre-Assembled and Ready for Installation.
- 𝗧𝗢𝗣 𝗤𝗨𝗔𝗟𝗜𝗧𝗬 Advaning’s Product Selection Features Top-Tier Design, Functionality, and Complete Hardware Kit. Our Retractable Awnings are Shipped Fully Assembled and Ready for Installation. Classic Series Collection featues a 100% Acryclic Fabric with UV+ Sun Protection. Construction Grade Hardware and Top Tier Components. Reliable Quality – thats why so many choose Advaning for their homes and businesses
- 𝗖𝗨𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗠 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗗𝗘 – 𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗬 𝗣𝗜𝗧𝗖𝗛 𝗦𝗬𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗠 Using the Two Easy Pitch Loop System, the Awning’s Pitch/Tilt Angle can be Easily and Safely Adjusted to Block the Sun at Different Times of the Day for a fully Customizable Shade Experience. Electric/Manual Awnings will also Include a 3rd Loop to Crank the Awning Open or Close if Desired or in Case of a Power Outage.
- 𝗗𝗨𝗥𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡 Built with an Premium Standard 40×40 mm Powder Coat Steel Frame Torsion Bar & 70mm Diameter Aluminum Roller Tube for a Strong and Safe Structure. All Construction Grade Stainless Steel Hardware with Excellent Corrosion Resistance, Longevity, and Strength.
- 𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗬 & 𝗦𝗘𝗥𝗩𝗜𝗖𝗘 2-Year Limited Warranty and Lifetime Tech Support by Email, Chat, or Phone – All provided & available by Advaning’s Dedicated CALIFORNIA Based Service Team.
- 𝗙𝗔𝗕𝗥𝗜𝗖 𝗔𝗗𝗩𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗔𝗚𝗘 Advaning’s Classic Series uses a 100% Acrylic Fabric, which is an Advantage over Cheap Competitor Polyester or Vinyl Fabrics that are known to Trap Heat and Increase Humidity. Advaning’s Fabrics are Breathable and Moisture Wicking for a More Comfortable Shade Experience.
- 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗧𝗘 𝗞𝗜𝗧 Advanings Classic Series Collection of Awnings will Include Everything Needed to Properly and Safely Install and Use. You can expect a Completely Assembled Motorized Awning, Remote Control Kit, Hand Crank, Dual-Use Wall/Soffit Installation Brackets, Installation Hardware for Both Wood and Solid Masonry Installations, and Owner’s Manual. Please Click Through Downloadable PDF’s for a Complete List of Part Qty’s for Individual Sizes.
- Easy-to-adjust pitch
- Removable valance
- Weather-resistant fabric
Best Extra Large: ALEKO Motorized Retractable Black Frame Patio Awning
It can be tough to find a high-quality retractable awning for an extra-large space, but this option from ALEKO comes in sizes up to 20 x 10 feet.
There are also plenty of color options, so you don’t need to sacrifice style for size. We also like that it offers both a motorized- and a hand-crank option. The latter will come in handy if the power goes out.
The fabric is treated with a UV- and weather-resistant protectant but has shown more signs of wear than some higher-end options. The powder-coated steel frame holds up well to the elements as long as it is not damaged or chipped.
- Material Polyester
- Color Black
- Size 20×10
- Brand ALEKO
- Item Weight 13 Pounds
About this item:
- Optimize your outdoor area for maximum relaxation and enjoyment with ALEKO retractable awnings!!
- ALEKO specializes in retractable awnings for patio, deck or balcony areas for your home or business
- The easy-to-use, motorized retractable canopies open and close easily in less than a minute and also include a hand crank for manual operation. The modern black frame shows less dirt and debris than more common white frames.
- We offer deck awnings and canopies for any occasion, with a multitude of color, size and configuration options; Includes: (1) Frame, (1) Motor, (1) Handle Crank, (1) Screw Box, (1) Roller Center Support, (1) Awning Fabric, (1) Cord, and (2) Manuals
- Actual Frame Dimensions: 19.7 x 9.8 Feet; Actual Fabric Dimensions: 19.3 x 9.8 Feet; Frame Product Weight: 73.6 lbs; Fabric Product Weight: 13 lbs; Frame Color: Black; Fabric Color: Black
- Extra-large size
- 16 color options
- Motorized or hank crank options
- Can show wear or fading early
The Best Gazebos to Enjoy the Outdoors in Style
The retractable awning from Best Choice Products is designed to withstand the elements, so you can enjoy it rain or shine for years to come.
It’s UV- and water-resistant and will help protect you from the sun. It also has an additional coating to keep it looking and performing great over time. The aluminum frame is powder-coated to offer extra protection from rust and corrosion.
It comes fully assembled and ready to be mounted on various surfaces, including stucco, vinyl, wood, or glass. When mounted and secured correctly, it will stand up to whatever Mother Nature throws at it—just be sure to follow the provided instructions.
- Color: Beige
- Material Aluminum Polyester
- Color Beige
- Size Large
- Brand Best Choice Products
- Item Weight 45 Pounds
About this item:
- DURABLE MATERIALS: A light, but strong powder-coated aluminum frame resists breakdown while the UV- and water-resistant polyester features a PU coating for added longevity
- ALL-WEATHER COVERAGE: An ideal space to enjoy the weather, rain or shine this canopy is up to the task to provide UV- and water-resistant coverage
- RETRACTABLE HAND CRANK: Freely and smoothly open and close the canopy with the easy-to-access, retractable 60-inch hand crank
- LARGE SHADED AREA: The large canopy covers up to 54 square feet and is unimpeded by support structures-ideal for entertaining guests!
- USE IT ANYWHERE: Use the included mounting hardware to set up this canopy in stucco, vinyl, or wood and on any balcony patio or window!; OPENED DIMENSIONS: 98.5″(L) x 80″(W) x 6.5″(H)
- High-quality fabric
- Fully assembled
- Only two colors available
5 Most Popular Retractable Awnings Buying Guide For 2022-2023
What to Look for in a Retractable Awning
It’s also important to consider what type of fabric or material the retractable awning is made of. The fabric is the component of a retractable awning that provides protection from the elements, so it’s very important to consider what is made out of.
You want to be sure that the fabric is highly durable and can easily withstand all types of elements, including the harsh UV rays of the sun, moisture, wind, corrosion, and tearing.
It should also be lightweight, as the heavier the material is, the more weight it’s going to put on the frame, which can impact the function of the awning.
Three of the fabrics that are most commonly used include:
This fabric is considered the “classic” material for retractable awnings. It’s a natural material and is easy to acquire, which makes it affordable.
While canvas is highly durable, as it features a high tensile strength, it does tend to be prone to damage from environmental exposure.
Additionally, it tends to be more expensive than other materials, as it’s organic. If you decide on canvas, look for something that is coated with a specialized protective materials to improve its ability to withstand exposure to the elements and extend its life-expectancy.
Polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, is a synthetic fabric that’s comprised of plastic. It’s lightweight, flexible, and is naturally waterproof and unlike other fabrics, does not retain moisture and doesn’t need to be treated with a protectant to make it waterproof.
It’s also naturally mold and mildew resistant and affordably priced. The downside is that PVC has a low tensile strength, so it isn’t as durable as other materials.
Lastly, there’s polyester. Another synthetic material, it’s considered to provide the best of both worlds, as its durability is similar to canvas, while its weather-resistance is similar to PVC.
Additionally, of the three fabrics that are used for retractable awnings, polyester is the least expensive. It should be noted, however, that PVC isn’t naturally water-resistant, so it does need to be treated with a specialized coating in order to prevent saturation.
It’s also important to consider the materials that the frame is constructed of.
It should be durable enough to withstand constant exposure to the elements; however, it should also be lightweight so that it won’t add strain to the wall that it is attached to, which could increase the risk of damaging the wall; plus, it could potentially cause the awning to fall out of the wall.
There are two main materials that retractable awnings are constructed out of aluminum, which is very lightweight and durable, stainless steel, which is also lightweight and durable, and acrylic.
While the latter two are durable and lightweight, they do tend to rust and corroded, so they need to be treated with powder coating. The latter option, acrylic, is naturally corrosion and rust resistant, but it isn’t as durable and lightweight.
It’s also vital to consider the size of the retractable awning. You want to be sure that it will effectively cover the space that it is intended for; if it doesn’t, it won’t be very effective.
Measure the ground area of the space you need to shade to determine what size awning you will need. It’s a good idea to choose an awning that’s slightly larger than the space you need to shield to ensure full coverage.
Mounting a retractable awning usually doesn’t require any particular skills or knowledge. Still, you should follow the installation instructions and recommendations to avoid damaging your home.
Pay close attention to the need for wall anchors or other structural reinforcements. When in doubt, consult a professional.
The first thing that you’re going to want to consider is the mechanism, as this is the element that determines how the awning will retract. Retractable awnings can feature one of two mechanisms:
As the name suggests, a manual mechanism requires cranking in order to open and close a retractable awnings. Manual awnings feature a vertically or horizontally oriented cranking mechanism.
The come with a long harm that features a hook on one end that connects to the awning and a twist handle on the other end that allows the user to open and close the awning.
The benefit of manual retractable awnings is that they’re usually economically priced and they’re reliable, as they don’t require electricity.
However, on the downside, is that the manual operation can be a bit inconvenient, as cranking the handle can be tiring and it can take a while to fully open and close the awning.
A retractable awning with a motorized mechanism is more convenient, as it can be opened and closed with just the push of a button, and usually opens and closes a lot faster, too.
A motorized awning can be features a motor that is powered by either a battery or a power cord.
Some models feature storm sensors, which can determine wind strength and saturation of the canopy and when certain levels of either are reached, the canopy will automatically retract. While motorized retractable awnings are certainly easier to operate, it’s important to note that they tend to be pricier than manual models.
Additionally, because the motor features moving parts, there’s an increased risk of mechanical failure, as the components can break down and may require costly repairs, which further increases the price.
Q: How do you install a retractable awning?
A: Wall-mounted retractable awnings can come already assembled or with some assembly required. The installation process usually involves wall anchors or mounting hardware, which must be secured with heavy-duty exterior wall screws.
If you choose a motorized awning, you will also need to have access to a power source.
Q: How do you care for a retractable awning?
A: Much like an outdoor umbrella, you should clean the awning’s fabric at least once per year, more often if you live in a harsher climate.
You can also wipe it down, hose it off, or spot-treat stains between deep cleanings. The frame should be kept free from debris, and it is advisable to clean and inspect your awning once per season.
Q: What materials should you look for in a retractable awning?
A: A top-quality retractable awning should be made of a heavy-duty fabric designed for outdoor use.
The best fabric options are rain- and mildew-resistant and block harmful UV rays. Look for a metal frame—such as stainless steel or aluminum—that won’t rust or corrode over time.
Q: Can a retractable awning be placed over windows to provide shade?
A: Yes, as long as it is properly installed, a retractable awning can be installed over a window, which can help to prevent sun from pouring into your windows and can actually help to lower the temperature in your home, which will help you save money on your cooling costs.
Q: Which is better: A motorized or manual retractable awning?
A: It really depends on your specific needs. If ease of use is what you’re looking for and you don’t mind spending more, motorized would likely work better for your needs.
However, if you don’t want to spend as much and you don’t want to rely on electricity, a manual retractable awning would be a better choice.
Q: It is hard to install a retractable awning?
A: It depends on your ability levels. Typically, retractable awnings come with installation manuals that offer step-by-step instructions; however, do note that you will likely need an extra set of hands or two in order to install it.
If you aren’t comfortable with doing the job yourself, hiring someone to install it for you may be a better choice.
A retractable awning is a great way to provide as-needed shade for outdoor spaces.
With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to select the highest quality retractable awning to meet your specific needs.
Thanks for taking the time to read our 5 Most Popular Retractable Awnings Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2022-2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners