11 Best Pool Filter Review Guide For 2022-2023
11 Best Pool Filter Review Guide For 2022-2023 – You know the importance of a pool filter to keep it clean from the constant contamination brought in by swimmers, the wind, and even articles used in and around the pool. Despite being a simple piece of equipment, not many people know how to buy the best pool filter because there isn’t enough credible info
available. If that rings a bell, this guide can solve your problem. To find out more keep reading our 11 Best Pool Filter Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
This sand filter pump from Intex has a pump flow rate of 1200 GPH. It comes equipped with 6 features which include backwash, filter, recirculates, rinses, drain and close the system. There is a digital timer provided which you can set as per your requirement.
The maximum time limit is 12 hours and the pump switches off as per the time you have set it to. Amongst the other accessories offered you receive two 1.5 inch connector hoses that make it easy for the water to be transported.
The pressure gauge gave monitors the amount of water being pumped to avoid any mishap. This makes the pump useful for any pool with a diameter of 16 feet or less.
- Pump flow Rate: 1200 GPH. System flow Rate: 1, 050 GPH
- 6 function control – enables pool owner to filter, backwash, rinse, recirculate, drain & close system
- 24-Hour automatic timer
- The strainer basket provides easy-cleaning, and prolongs the life of the sand.
- Hydro aeration technology is incorporated into the filter pump for improved circulation and filtration, improved water clarity and increased negative ions at the water surface
- 6 features making it easy to use
- Digital timer allowing you to set a limit for it to switch off
- Pressure gauge helping in controlling the amount of water
- Suitable for any pool with 16 feet diameter or less
- The material used is flimsy
Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch Pool Sand Filter for In-ground Pool
This is one of the most popular and most powerful in-ground pool filter systems, and there are many reasons for that. The weather-proof, corrosion-proof tank is made of a sturdy polymeric material and comes with a patented six-piston multi-port valve. The user-friendly lever action operation of the valve makes it very convenient to use. It works on the backwashing principal and ensures that water in your pool is crystal clear. The affordable price, ease of use, and low maintenance further sweeten the deal.
- Systems are designed for quick assembly and precise alignment of components
- Filters are performance-matched to provide maximum flow and energy efficiency
- Filter bases are molded of rugged thermoplastic for long-lasting, all-weather performance
- 7-Position vari-flo valve provides maximum flow at low pressure drop
- 27-Inches long 1-1/2-inches vari-flo valve top-mount pool sand filter for in-ground pool
- Licensed pool professional to be contacted to assist with the installation
- Made of extremely durable weather and corrosion-proof materials that can withstand any type of weather for a very long time to come
- Comes with a gigantic pressure drain (either sand or water) for speedy servicing
- Backwashing is very simple and ensures water in your pool is crystal clear
- The filter system is highly energy efficient and can save you decent money in terms of electric bills, thanks to the full-flow technology
- Very simple to operate and requires very little maintenance
- Despite being a high-quality system, it’s very reasonable priced
- Great pro-active customer service. In fact, their Hayward service has reached out to people who had a bad experience and posted their review online to help them sort out their issue. Kudos!
- The packing that the product comes in isn’t great. This isn’t a deal breaker, but when you invest a handsome amount of money, you can expect more than a large cardboard with the product freely jostling around in it.
- Comes with one a one-year warranty
- It’s rather heavy for its size, but this can actually be a benefit as it shows the durable build of the unit.
Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump – Amazon’s Choice
This pump is designed especially for above ground pools and it is suitable for 16-20 inch diameter pool models of Intex. The assembling process is rather simple and any novice can tackle and do it on his own.
The system flow rate for the pump is around 1180 GPH while the pump flow rate is 1500 GPH. There is again a timer function that you can set for anywhere between 2-12 hours. Along with there is an air release valve to remove the air that has been trapped inside the air filter.
You also get a filter cartridge that is easy to clean and can be replaced when required. The hydro aeration technology provided ensures that negative ions remain on top of the water surface thus making it feel fresh.
- Specially designed for above ground pools. For use with Intex Easy Set pool models 18’, Frame pool models 16’ or 18’, Oval Frame pool models 20’ X 12’.
- Easy installation – just attach hoses via 1.5″ hose fittings and plug in (Partial assembly required).
- System flow rate: 1,180 gph (2,839 lph). Pump flow rate: 1,500 gph (3,785 lph)
- Double insulated pump. Auto timer with preset 2 to 12 hour cycles.
- Includes one easy to clean, replaceable filter cartridge. For best results, replace filter cartridge every 2 weeks. Replacement cartridge: Type A/C.
- Easy to install
- Suitable for above ground pools
- Timer function helps in pump getting shut off as per time set
- The filter cartridge is easy to clean and can be changed with a new one
- Faces problem with operations
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Systems with E.C.O
With a capacity of 7000 gallons, this pump has a titanium electrolyte cell which uses natural salt to create natural chlorine. As a result, soft and freshwater is created that is devoid of any harmful chemicals. The process of electrocatalytic oxidation splits the water molecules into oxidants that remove all the harmful bacteria that could be present in the water.
The design of the pump is compact and sleek and it is quite easy to operate. In fact, the control panel given is digital so you can easily control the settings and have an idea of how the pump is performing.
- Titanium electrolytic cell uses salt to create chlorine
- Soft, fresh, clean water without the potential harsh side effects of packaged pool chemicals
- Electrocatalytic oxidation splits water molecules into oxidants
- Redesigned sleek compact casing and control panel for easy use
- Requires a pump with a flow Rate between 700 and 3000 GPH
- Electrocatalytic oxidation kills the bacteria
- Electrolyte cell creates natural chlorine
- The quality of water is highly maintained
- Compact and sleek design
- Digital panel that is easy to understand and use
- The salt level remains high
XtremepowerUS 16″ Above Inground Swimming Pool
Having a strong sand filter system the pump provides superior quality water. It maintains the sand height at such a level that maximum water can be processed for any sedimentation seen. Its impeller has been designed with brass inserts which makes it a sturdy purchase good enough to last you for some time.
Along with the pump, you receive the benefit of a 7-way multi-port filter which allows you to do a lot of things as per your choice. The pump is ideal for above ground pools and the capacity for it is around 10,000 gallons.
- Sand Filter System – The Filter are perfectly engineered to provide optimum flow rates that promotes clean water quality
- Dependable Performance – This filter keeps the sand height level to expose water to the maximum sand surface level possible for optimum filtration, consistent performance, and efficient back-washing
- Heavy Duty Design – Compact housing for all-weather functionality Impeller designed with brass inserts for long life and superior performance. Each tank is individually tested to ensure quality and reliability. Above ground pool owners can enjoy the same high performance, outstanding operating efficiency, and long-term reliability as inground pool owners
- 7-Way Multi-Port Filter – Multi port provides for easy use and quick back-washing (Filter, Backwash, Winter, Re-Circulate, Closed, Rinse and Waste)
- With a threaded connections, a filter base and user’s manual. Includes 7-position valve, this tank holds 110lbs of media sand; Overall Dimension: 16″(W) x 16″(L) x 32-1/4″(H)
- Very strong sand filter system giving high-quality water
- Sturdy and durable
- 7 Way multi-port filter
- Suitable for large pools
- No proper instructions are given
Radiant Complete Sand Filter System
This is a complete package for your swimming pool as it includes pool pump, tank, 3 high-pressure hoses, stainless steel clamps, and back hoses. That ensures that the water of your pool would remain at a top-quality level.
The force with which this pump operates makes it a great choice for any kind of pool. Alongside this pump also has a see-through screen which allows you to see the progress of pumping. By ensuring great performance the pump remains an economical buy for the customers.
- ALL IN ONE POOL EQUIPMENT – The Rx Clear Radiant Complete Sand Filter System is a full system that includes the Rx Clear Extreme Niagara pool pump, tank, 3′ high pressure hose, stainless steel clamps, backwash hose fittings to connect providing your pools flawless filtration needs & 6’ power cord. Made for above ground pools.
- CLEAN AND SAFE WATER – This filter is designed to handle the filtration needs of many of today’s pools. It provides a high performance, easy-to-use operating system that filters your above ground pool water making it crystal clean and safe for swimming.
- EASY TO INSTALL – The core of these systems is the one-piece blow-molded tank that sits atop a universal base. Includes a top mount, with a 6-position multi-port valve and has a high capacity sand bed to catch more debris and extends filter cycles.
- ECONOMICAL CHOICE – The mighty force of this above ground pool pump makes it efficient and an economical choice. The interior consists of the standpipe and laterals. This filter tank comes with a 3-Year limited warranty against manufacturer’s defects. Filter media and hoses are sold separately.
- SEE THROUGH SCREEN – The Extreme Force Pump features a 2-piece strainer cover with clear view port and pool filter basket to catch all the pool debris to ensures free-flowing operations at all times. This pump is designed for maximum performance and economy in an above ground swimming pool pump.
- A complete package having loads of features
- The high force generated can be used for any pool
- Good looking and sturdy
- See-through screen to see the extent of sedimentation
- Difficult to set up
Pentair 160301 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank Cartridge Pool Filter 420 Square Feet
This innovative cartridge filter comes with an outsized filter area that lets it catch more dirt and impurities. The most notable thing about this filter system is that it has an effective filtration area of worth 420 square feet. On top of that, it has a flow rate of 150 gallons per minute. However, your system flow can be different depending on the exact plumbing size as well as other components of the overall system.
I had a pleasant experience with the filter; its speedy action turned one of my friends’ green and filthy looking puddle
into a crystal-clear pool in no time. One thing to note is that it’s not corrosion-proof but corrosion resistant. But the
unit seems very durable and reliable.
- Clean & Clear Plus pool and spa cartridge filter
- Large filter area for increased dirt capacity; 1-1/2-inch and 100 percent drain clean-out port
- Continuous high flow internal air relief and high flow manual air relief valve; NSF listed and superior strength
- Injection molded tank and black bulkhead unions; balanced hydraulic flow and tension control clamp
- It has effective filtration area 420-square feet and flow rate is 150-GPM; measures 22-inch length by 45-inch height by 22-1/2-inch width
- This NSF listed filter comes with a massive filter area for enhanced capacity with 1.5inch, 100% drain clean out port
- Comes with a high flow internal air relief as well as manual air relief valve.
- Instant action, thanks to an effective filtration area of about 420 square feet and a flow rate of 150 gallons per minute
- Lasts a very long time thanks to the durable materials used
- Perfectly works on gigantic pools. The friend I mentioned above had a 30,000-gallon deep-end pool
- Just like any other cartridge filter system, the Pentair 160301Clean & Clear Plus needs cleaning every year depending on your use
- The pool system is comparatively expensive, but it is well worth the price
- Comes with just one-year-warranty
Hayward C5030 525 Square Foot SwimClear Cartridge Filter
Hayward might be better known for their sand filters, but they have pretty much changed their one-dimensional persona with the C5030 SwimClear. This is an innovative filter in cartridge technology with a cluster of 4 reusable elements for up to 425 square feet of immense capacity and extended filter cycles.
In addition to the quad-cluster cartridge elements that offer a great filter area, which can hold extra amount of dirt and impurities, several other features make it a great fit for any private pool. Firstly, it comes with a massive, tamper proof, clamp that holds the two –piece unit together, but also offers easy access to innards – which makes maintenance and repairs a breeze. Moreover, the CPVC union connection adds diversity to the unit, making it compatible with both 2-inch and 2.5-inch piping, offering extreme performance with the 2-inch full-flow internal piping.
- The Hayward SwimClear 325-Square-Foot Pool Filter with a top manifold configuration provides excellent filtration and hydraulic performance for reduced cost of operation
- Cleanable cartridge elements eliminate the requirement for backwashing
- Filter tanks are made from the most durable materials to meet the demands of the toughest applications and environmental conditions
- Heavy-duty, tamper-proof, one piece flange clamp securely fastens tank top and bottom and allows quick access to all internal components
- High-capacity, rapid-release manual air relief valve bleeds air with a quick quarter turn of the lever
- Offers very fast clean-out, thanks to the 2.5 inbuilt drain
- The quirky design lets you easily remove the cartridge elements
- The unit is not only sturdy but can withstand immense heat because of Noryl bulkhead
- Barely needs any maintenance, especially when compared with sand filters in the same class
- The unit helps you preserve a lot of water as there is not water going to waste because of backwashing. This makes it an ideal unit for areas where water is in short supply
- With some units, people have complained an issue with the manifold. Though we personally had no such experience. But thanks to Hayward’s great customer service, you can get a replacement for it
- Cartridges need to be serviced/replaced, though not too often
- The price of the unit is on the higher side
Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid Vertical DE Pool Filter
Hayward DE4820 is a vertical grid filter, designed for in-ground pools as well as spas of all the different types and sizes. Just as the name suggests, it’s a DE based filter that pushed unfiltered water into filter elements and evenly distributes DE to grids.
The unit has the trademark Hayward design, with a heavy-duty, one-piece clamp that securely fits the tank top and the bottom together. This not only makes maintenance easy but also allows a convenient, quick access to innards, without requiring you to mess up the piping connections. The size and power of the Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid Vertical DE Pool Filter make it an equally good choice for both commercial and residential use.
- Vertical grid filter for in-ground pools and spas of all types and sizes
- Inlet diffuser elbow distributes flow of unfiltered water evenly to all filter elements and provides even distribution of D.E. to grids
- Plumbing options allow for customized control; heavy-duty, tamper-proof, 1-piece flange clamp securely fastens tank top and bottom. Allows quick access to all internal components without disturbing piping or connections, valve not included
- 2-inch full-flow internal piping and plumbing for less resistance to flow and maximum performance
- 48 -foot filter allows for both commercial and large residential applications and years of non- corrosive, trouble-free performance
- Durable build ensures years of non-corrosive, hassle-free performance
- Available in a wide variety of sizes: 24, 36, 48,60,72-square foot, so you can choose one according to your pool size.
- Made of Perma Glass XL, the filter offers ultimate strength and durability
- In addition to combination pressure and cleaning cycle indicator gauge, the filter comes with a manual air relief and high-impact grid elements.
- Easy to install and even easier to use. There is just one lever to turn that lets you control all the settings. If you’ve used any of the older filters, you’ll love this one
- Great pro-active customer service. In fact, their Hayward service has reached out to people who had a bad experience and posted their review online to help them sort out their issue. Kudos!
- The filter doesn’t come with a user manual. Although it’s very easy to install and use, an instruction manual is always nice.
- The picture on most online stores show a slide However, that is not included with the filter. Not an issue with the product, but seems like a weird marketing ploy.
- The packing isn’t great for a product that cost a decent amount of money.
Best Choice Products Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System
This cutting-edge, well-designed pool filter system has been specifically designed to keep your pool pristine while requiring minimal maintenance and consuming negligible power. Yet, its unique design allows an efficient way to suck water from the skimmer into the filter tank. It features a six-position multiport valve for easy operation.
You’ll be amazed to see clean water in your pool like never before. The trick behind its great performance is that it has a high capacity sand bed which causes water to get exposed o more surface area. This results in all the impurities getting caught in the sand and pure water leaving the filter. The Best Choice Products Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System is simple to install, easy to use and offers great filtration performance, quick backwashing, and stretched filter cycles. It’s one of the very few UL listed, thermal protected, and CSA certified filter systems available on the market.
- ETL-listed mark, proving your product has been independently tested and meets the applicable published safety standard as well as being CSA certified
- For above-ground pools up to 10,000 gallons
- Features a system tray, 4-way valve, connection hose, pressure gauge, and a 3-prong plug with an electric cable
- The pump is thermal protected and a strainer basket is included
- Overall Dimensions: 23.5”(H) x 13″(W)
- Reasonably price filter system, yet very powerful as well as easy to use.
- Has a massive 175lbs sand capacity
- Comes with ETL listed mark, which means that your filter has been tested by an independent organization and meets the standards of applicable published safety.
- The unique one-piece design is non-corrosive as well as sturdy.
- Sand bed always stay level because of the internal filter design and water gets in contact with more surface area, ensuring cleaner water.
- The dirtier the sand gets, the better the filter works and catches more impurities, so the performance keeps going up.
- It’s not compatible with most pools out of the box so you might have buy fittings, 1 1/2 PVC pipe, PVC glue, Teflon tape, and other items to configure
- It does waste some water, so might not be the best choice where water is in short supply
- Although we may not call it fragile, yet it’s not as durable as compared to some other filters we have discussed above
Hayward Perflex Extended-Cycle Above-Ground/In-Ground Pools D.E. Filter
This is an amazing little filter system available in three different models i.e. EC40AC, EC50AC, and EC75A, each ideal for the different type of pool. The most notable feature of the Hayward Perflex Extended-Cycle D.E. filter is that it has a bump handle that makes the flex-tubes clean themselves.
It’s a heavy-duty system that is extremely durable and offers corrosion-free performance for many years to come. The Hayward Perflex arguably offers the most comprehensive clean, as most other filters remove impurities down to five microns, while this little bad boy can catch down to one micron.
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- EC50AC filter with clamp; recommended for round pools 28 to 33 feet and oval pools 18 by 39 feet also for in ground pools with different pump only the pump is recommended for above ground pools
- Bump handle causes the flex-tubes to clean themselves of dirt and filter powder; integral check valve prevents system backflow whenever pump is off
- Heavy-duty filter tank injection-molded of high-strength for dependable, corrosion-free performance
- 1-year limited warranty
- Can catch dust, pollen, and other impurities as small as one micron
- Doesn’t waste any water or power – ideal for areas where water isn’t abundant
- Works very fast, your pool can turn from milky to crystal in as short as two hours
- Very quiet, you won’t even know if it’s running
- Reasonably price
- Small, lightweight and easy to use. Every once in a while, just hold the filter by the handle, and you can shake the DE powder to recoat the DE filter
- The plastic body doesn’t seem very durable, although we haven’t seen any cracks or damage yet.
- The unit can get clogged, though not very often and is easy to fix, however, it is a nuisance.
- The title can be a little misleading, the unit not compatible with in-ground pools; only the pump can be used with above ground
11 Best Pool Filter Buyers Guide For 2022-2023
Choosing the Right Type of Filter for Your Pool:
Depending on their construction, there are three main types of pool filters:
- D.E or Diatomaceous Earth Pool Filters
- Sand Pool Filters
- Cartridge Pool Filters
The million-dollar question is: which one of these is the best? Well, when it comes to pool filters, there is no one-size-fits-all formula. In other words, the best type of pool depends on your needs and your budget. However, if you wanted to know one key factor that determines the performance of your pool filter, it’ll be the size of the filter.
So, if you had just one takeaway from this guide, let it be: choose a filter at least one size bigger than you think you need. In other words, the biggest filter you can afford is almost always the best filter for your pool. All the other things such as brand, name, type, color come second.
Before we talk about each type of filters, let me throw in another very important question.
How to Find Out the Right Size?
This is where most people will drop the ball. They will either guess the right size or will simply consider the overall size of their pool and end up choosing the wrong filter size. Fortunately, here’s an ABC simple step-by-step formula to determine the correct size:
- Step 1: Calculate the total volume of the pool. For a square/rectangular pools, the formula is length x width x depth. For circular pools, it is radios x 3.14 (pi) x depth.
- Step 2: Calculate the capacity of pool in gallons. You can do so by multiplying pool volume (step 1) by 7.48 (which is the number of gallons in a cubic foot of volume)
- Step 3: Calculate the flow rate of water. You can buy cheap hardware sensors for this, but better yet, we have a formula, which costs nothing. Flow rate = capacity of the pool divided by turnover rate. Turnover rate is the total time required to circulate the body of water equal to the capacity of the pool.
- Step 4: Get your ideal filter, whose flow rate matches the flow rate of the pool. Remember, the actual flow rate of a filter can be derived by multiplying the filter rate by filter area.
- Step 5: Remember to choose at least one size bigger!
Diatomaceous Earth Filters:
Ideal for: People who have enough budget to afford top of the line product
Average price: $800
Also, known as DE filters, these are considered to be the most reliable filters. They are made of a series of fabric covered filter elements or grids, which is coated with Diatomaceous Earth – a white powder found on earth. The magical capabilities of the powder let you filter out even the microscopic particles, ensuring pure, clean water in the pool.
Pros of DE filters
- Filters particles that are as small as 5 microns
- Easy to refresh as all you have to do is add DE powered through the skimmer
- High performance, long life
Cons of DE filters
- The powder is considered to be a carcinogen and must be dealt with care
- Needs cleaning at least once a year depending on your use
Ideal for: People who want a hassle-free, budget-friendly filter
Average price: $250 (for above ground sand filters) and $600 (for in-ground sand filters)
These are the most commonly used and top rated pool filters. They are usually two to four feet in diameter and look like a big ball. Just as the name suggests, they contain sand, while there’s a drain pipe at the bottom of the tank. The water passes through the sand, leaving any impurities behind, and goes out of the filter through the pipe at the bottom.
Pros of sand filters:
- Very easy to maintain. Simply backwash and rinse
- Sand is easy to acquire and lasts for many years
Cons of sand filters:
- Water wasted through backwash and rinsing when cleaning
- Filters only down to 20 microns
- Creates a lot of pressure
Ideal for: People who don’t want to spend time maintain the pool
Average price: $400 (for above ground sand filters) and $750 (for in-ground sand filters)
These are the energy- and cost-efficient filters that are pretty similar to the DE filters, however, there is no DE involved. Water enters the filter that has one or more cylindrical cartridges of pleated mesh material. All the impurities get stuck in the cartridges, while the water goes out the pipe at the bottom, into the pool.
Pros of cartridge filters:
- Energy and cost efficient
- Helps save water
- Can filter down to 10 microns
Cons of cartridge filters:
- Needs maintenance – you’ve to take the cartridges out and wash them
- Worn cartridges need to be replaced (not very frequently though)
We have explored the very best filters available for both in-ground and above ground pools. Choose the one that’s right for your pool, and you’ll spend less time cleaning and more time swimming. Thanks for taking the time to read our 11 Best Pool Filter Review Guide For 2022-2023.
Vinyl Works Above Ground Swimming Pool Resin Deck Kit
- Best Pool Slide For Your Above Ground Pool Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Summer Waves vs Intex Pools Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Pool Safety For Kids Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Above Ground Pool Heaters Everything You Need To Know Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Can Dogs Go In A Pool? Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Best Pool Umbrella Review Guide For 2022-2023
- Top Swimming Pool Fountain Review Guide For 2022-2023
- 2020 Top Rated Above Ground Pools
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Above Ground Pools With Decks
- Top 4 Best Pool Heater Reviews
- Above Ground and In-Ground Pool Liners